cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I hide the FF4 title bar under Linux (to have it look like FF4 on Windows, or indeed Google Chrome)?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

How do I hide the FF4 title bar under Linux (to have it look like FF4 on Windows, or indeed Google Chrome)?

It's great that the menu can now be displayed in the tab bar with tabs-on-top, but it would be even better if the titlebar itself could be hidden! I believe this is already the case on FF4/Windows 7. Maybe I have just not discovered how to turn on this feature?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: How do I hide the FF4 title bar under Linux (to have it look like FF4 on Windows, or indeed Google Chrome)?

You can hide the titlebar in a very easy way if you are using Compiz.

Just open CompizConfig preferences and find "Windows decoration" Now, in the line called "Decoration windows" type this: (any) & !(class=Firefox)

2011-03-28-05-30-11-29207a.png
21 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: How do I hide the FF4 title bar under Linux (to have it look like FF4 on Windows, or indeed Google Chrome)?

You can't hide the title bar on Linux, that only works on Windows.

You can look at the Autohide extension: "Preview of the next version (Fx 4 only)"

New Contributor

Then this should be considered a feature request! (After all, if Chrome can do it on Linux...)

Will give the add-on a try, though it appears to only affect full screen mode where the title bar is hidden anyway?

Site Moderator

You can use Autohide in zombie mode (Shift and F11) to remove the chrome (title bar) without going to full screen. You can click the More info button on the Autohide page.

New Contributor

Why don't you add that addon to addons.mozilla.org?

New Contributor

I can hide the Firefox4's titlebar under linux. First, you must install the extension named userChromeJS-1.3. URL:http://downloads.mozdev.org/userchromejs/userChromeJS-1.3.xpi

Now, edit ~/.mozilla/firefox/XXXXXX.default/chrome/userChrome.js

The content:

(function() {

var win_ctrl = document.getElementById("window-controls");
   win_ctrl.setAttribute("fullscreencontrol", "false");
   win_ctrl.setAttribute("hidden", "false");
   var mainWindow = document.getElementById("main-window");
   mainWindow.setAttribute("hidechrome", "true");

})();

That's all. ^_^

New Contributor

nice hack Smiley Happy Unfortunately, it's a little extreme, as it also removes the possibility to resize, move, or minimize the window...

New Contributor

You can hide the titlebar in a very easy way if you are using Compiz.

Just open CompizConfig preferences and find "Windows decoration" Now, in the line called "Decoration windows" type this: (any) & !(class=Firefox)

2011-03-28-05-30-11-29207a.png
New Contributor

Something similar can be done in KDE (Configure Desktop -> Window Behaviour -> Window-Specific, and add a new setting for Window class "Firefox" there).

This of course also removes the minimize button. So if FF had a "minimize" button one could pull to the toolbar, one would have a decent workaround...

2011-04-08-12-40-24-2183dc.png
New Contributor

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/toolbar-buttons/ Minimize and Close Buttons. Both works, just checked.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/drag-button/ This one should also work very soon.