cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I hide the Add-on Bar by default?

Highlighted
New Contributor

How do I hide the Add-on Bar by default?

Whenever I disable the Add-on Bar, it returns after I restart Firefox. Is there any way to make it hidden by default? The only button in it for me is Firebug, and its already got a toolbar button and a keyboard shortcut. Thanks!

22 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: How do I hide the Add-on Bar by default?

Maybe Firebug is causing that Add-on bar to appear or it is because the Add-on bar isn't empty.

You can check:

New Contributor

If that's the case, it seems like this is a bug that should be fixed--what's the point of even letting people hide the add-on bar if it will always appear on startup if any installed add-on has a button? Can someone else verify that I'm not just missing something stupidly obvious (entirely possible)?

New Contributor

Do you have Xmarks installed?

I was having the same issue as you. Try going to about:config and changing "extensions.xmarks.forceAddonbar" from 1 to 0. Then restart Firefox and Xmarks should ask you if you want to enable the addon bar, and click no.

Hopefully that helps.

New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. Firebug doesn't seem to have a similar option, but I tracked down a bug report on their tracker that indicates (I think?) that Firebug is what's forcing the Add-on Bar to display at start-up, and that it will be fixed very shortly.

New Contributor

Thanks a lot mrtn400. This problem was annoying me too, but your Xmarks hint helped me out.

New Contributor

Hi, all! I was experiencing the same issue. With version 3.9.5, after resetting the "extensions.xmarks.forceAddonbar" parameter, upon next start of Firefox, Xmarks would ask if i'd like to show the Addon bar AND whether i clicked OK or Cancel, it was still showing it!

Guess, the issue is soleley with Xmarks. Now, using v3.9.8 the problem is gone.

New Contributor

I don't have Xmarks installed yet have the same problem. Are there any other add ons that could cause the same issue?

New Contributor

In my case it was ShowIP extensions, simply try to disable them(sitting on Add-on Bar) one by one.

New Contributor

The problem, as Grant states, is not that there are add-ons that expect the a Add-on Bar to be present. We already know that there are developers who have lost the plot but whose add-ons still work and which we users find very useful. Mikes Kaszman's AutoContext is a case in point. The point is that we can Customise the toolbar to place the icons for these on the toolbar, alongside the Address Bar. Having done so we no longer need to see the Add-on Bar, whether or not the icons for these add-ons still appear there. However, FF insists on launching it every time it restarts. How do we stop it?