Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash not working in Firefox Beta 7 on OSX 10.6.5

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Flash not working in Firefox Beta 7 on OSX 10.6.5

As suggested, I'm creating a new question for this issue, as the question we were using previously has been marked solved. Details up to now can be referenced here:

https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/763917

Alice,

Flash does work fine in Safari, so it seems to be just beta 7 that has this problem. I don't see any extensions that might be blocking flash (and haven't installed anything new between beta 6 and 7), but I will try a testing profile shortly.

Looking over the release notes, I don't see anything particularly specific to this. Possibly WebGL is interfering, or the new accelerated rendering that went in? I'm not sure how to go about checking if either of those caused the problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Flash not working in Firefox Beta 7 on OSX 10.6.5

OK, I did some googling around and found this, as a possible workaround to get Flash working in Firefox 4.0 Beta 7:

http://boomswaggerboom.wordpress.com/2010/11/10/firefox-4-for-mac-os-x-under-the-hood/

BenE says:
November 16, 2010 at 8:47 am

To get Flash streams (like YouTube) to run on OS X 10.6.4 using Firefox 4 beta 7, I had to go to the Get info for FF and ENABLE 32-bit mode.

jhz says:
November 17, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Same problem with Flash not running (OSX 10.6.5), and same solution works : using Get info to instruct FF 4 ß7 to start in 32-bit mode

In other words, control-click the Firefox.app icon, select "Get Info", and then check the box, "Open in 32-bit mode".

Let me know if that helps.

P.S. I found another topic started by a Mac OS X 10.6 user on the same issue, in case you want to watch it for replies:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/764078 Flash videos and games on are missing/show up as black boxes with firefox 4 beta 7

Disabling hardware acceleration via Firefox Preferences (Advanced -> uncheck "use hardware acceleration where available") was suggested in that thread, as well.

18 REPLIES
New User

Tried using a new profile, but the problem is still there.

New User

Did some looking around and found some suggestions to turn hardware acceleration off in Firefox itself. I've tried that, but it didn't fix anything.

Site Moderator

OK, I did some googling around and found this, as a possible workaround to get Flash working in Firefox 4.0 Beta 7:

http://boomswaggerboom.wordpress.com/2010/11/10/firefox-4-for-mac-os-x-under-the-hood/

BenE says:
November 16, 2010 at 8:47 am

To get Flash streams (like YouTube) to run on OS X 10.6.4 using Firefox 4 beta 7, I had to go to the Get info for FF and ENABLE 32-bit mode.

jhz says:
November 17, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Same problem with Flash not running (OSX 10.6.5), and same solution works : using Get info to instruct FF 4 ß7 to start in 32-bit mode

In other words, control-click the Firefox.app icon, select "Get Info", and then check the box, "Open in 32-bit mode".

Let me know if that helps.

P.S. I found another topic started by a Mac OS X 10.6 user on the same issue, in case you want to watch it for replies:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/764078 Flash videos and games on are missing/show up as black boxes with firefox 4 beta 7

Disabling hardware acceleration via Firefox Preferences (Advanced -> uncheck "use hardware acceleration where available") was suggested in that thread, as well.

New User

Either use Firefox 4.0b7 in 32-bit mode, or download and install the latest Flash "Square" beta, that runs in 64-bit mode. http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

New User

That did it. Running in 32-bit mode fixed it up for me. Thanks so much for sticking with me on this!

Site Moderator

Hey, glad it worked!

You can mark this topic as "solved" now ;-)

New User

Hi folks!

Had my hopes up reading the post on this page, baaaat....

my problem is that flash crashes intermittently on my MBP i7, OS 10.6.5. (e.g. youtube, gmail et al.)

So, I tried the 32-bit mode, but to no avail.

I made another attempt using the 64-bit flashplayer version, un-selecting 32-bit for FF, but again no luck. In fact this time all videos had trouble playing at all, while the audio track ran fine (for youtube vids).

Also, no changes when turning off Hardware Acceleration in FF preferences.

The only difference I did notice is that now I have the choice to "report" the crash to Mozilla, which before I did not.

Sorry, NOT "solved" for me.... :'•(

New User

OK, ok, ok ok, now we have something...then again I think it's SQ1!

After uninstalling the 64-bit flashplayer (using Flash Player "Square" for Mac OS X uninstaller from the Adobe site) and reinstalling it from the 'missing plugin' prompt, Flash is now able to play again.

But, while holding my breath listening to Van Morrison...Baby please don't go! I got yet another Crash of Flash! This time "No report available", so I'm thinking that's not available in the 64 bit version.

Leaves me wondering if I had the 64-bit version installed at the beginning of this sequence. Hm?

Anyone?

Site Moderator

ramram,

Crashes in the Flash plugin are different than Flash not working at all on Mac OS X 10.6 using Firefox 4 Beta 7 .... which is what this thread is about. Try the other suggestions that best describe your issue in these articles, under "Troubleshooting":

If you need more help, you will get a better response if you ask a new question in the Support Forum, since this thread is now "solved".