cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox hangs my whole computer - unrecoverable, have to hard reset

Highlighted
New Contributor

Firefox hangs my whole computer - unrecoverable, have to hard reset

Sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after a few hours, Firefox (yes, I am sure. I've operated without Firefox for days at a time, but soon after running it my PC always froze) freezes my whole PC. There is still image present on both of my monitors, and I can hear the last second or half a second of audio looping indefinitely. The freeze STAYS (tested waiting for a few hours). Won't disappear, so I have to hard reset every time.

This has started happening completely randomly, I have not installed any new extensions, user scripts or anything else. This has started about a week ago. I've been using Firefox for years without any such problems, and this particular install for about one year.

This issue has first appeared in Firefox 3, so I updated to FF4 beta 6. Issue was still present. Updated to FF4 beta 8. Issue is still present.

Linked a Crash ID which may or may not be linked to this problem. It's just the last one I had, from a few days ago.

I would also like to mention I tried renaming my profile, as someone recommended on some forum I found on Google. Didn't help.

6 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: Firefox hangs my whole computer - unrecoverable, have to hard reset

Bump, I guess? Dunno if this forum works like that.

EDIT: Guess not.

Site Moderator

If you need to reboot the computer to recover then you most likely have a problem with a system driver (e.g. display or mouse) or other software that runs at kernel level. Services and security software falls in that category. Make sure that you have the latest versions of all drivers.

New Contributor

I do have the latest drivers for pretty much all my hardware, haven't changed any of my services and haven't installed any new antivirus (I'm using MSE) when this problem occurred. I've upgraded MSE to 2.0 and the problem is still occurring (though it seems to be happening less and less).

New Contributor

I have this problem too , Everything are fine but after 10 min. or hours Mozilla Freezes my whole computer !! this is getting me to my limits ! all plug-in are Updated ! all my pc drivers are updated ! my Anti-virus is updated

The problem started 1 week ago .... from the nowhere , just like that . when it freezes my Computer i hear a sound wich isent coming from my Sound device but from the computer it self , that means an big error happend, i love Mozilla firefox but i also want it to work Smiley Sad

New Contributor

I have this problem too. The only thing I changed recently was uploading Firefox 4. As soon as i did, it locked up my whole computer. I don't want to hear any crap about checking my drivers, or other wild-goose chases. I think I will just stop using Firefox altogether. It used to be great, but now it is nothing but a hassle.

New Contributor

I agree with the guy above: The "official" fix is to not run Firefox ;( I'm going back to Chrome.