cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox does not ask to save tabs on exit and display them on restart.

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Firefox does not ask to save tabs on exit and display them on restart.

Closing a FF4 session with multiple tabs, I am not asked to save tabs and so they don't redisplay upon restart.

In Tools-Options-Privacy I have unchecked Remember my browsing history Clear history when Firefox closes

The other options there are checked.

In Tools-Options-Tabs I have checked Warn me when closing multiple tabs.

Are my settings incorrect? Basically I want any open tabs to be reopened across sessions, but I don't want any other history to be retained.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Forum Moderator

Re: Firefox does not ask to save tabs on exit and display them on restart.

One change in Firefox 4 is to by default stop Firefox displaying the warning message, but it can be turned back on by changing some preferences.

1. Type about:config into the location bar and press enter
  2. Accept the warning message that appears, you will be taken to a list of preferences
  3. Locate the preference browser.tabs.warnOnClose, if its value is set to false, double-click on it to change its value to true
  4. Repeat this for these 2 preferences browser.warnOnQuit, browser.warnOnRestart
  5. Starting with beta 12 there will be an additional preference that needs to be set to true - browser.showQuitWarning
33 REPLIES
Support Forum Moderator

One change in Firefox 4 is to by default stop Firefox displaying the warning message, but it can be turned back on by changing some preferences.

1. Type about:config into the location bar and press enter
  2. Accept the warning message that appears, you will be taken to a list of preferences
  3. Locate the preference browser.tabs.warnOnClose, if its value is set to false, double-click on it to change its value to true
  4. Repeat this for these 2 preferences browser.warnOnQuit, browser.warnOnRestart
  5. Starting with beta 12 there will be an additional preference that needs to be set to true - browser.showQuitWarning
New User

Thank you for your reply, which will get me the warning messages. Presumably I'd have to reenter these commands with each beta release until final.

But will it save my tabs so they'll appear when I reopen Firefox again? That's mainly what I'm looking for here. Currently with each new session, I'm not seeing the tabs I left open in the immediately prior session.

New User

TonyE, PROBLEM SOLVED.

I made your changes (the first was already set to true, I changed the 2nd and 3rd from false to true), and it solved the problem. I am receiving the "Save Tabs" message now upon closing FF4, AND seeing my saved tabs in my next FF4 session.

Many thanks!

msilvers50

New User

This was a very nice feature in firefox. It should automatically be set to true. On first action of its type the user can click 'do not ask again' and choose his action / stick to the pop-up each time.

New User

TonyE that was the solution! Finally I have my tabs back in beta release!!!

In linux this is not happening, just in Windows 7. I hope will not happen y final release for Windows.

New User

thanks

New User

Hello, I tried, all values are true, yet closing the page is done without warning. Can it be that some add-in apps cause it?

Thanks Arik

New User

it works after i follow the instructions, but i think it should be set as true by default when you install the program, just like FF3

New User

Tank you it works. You are the greatest.