cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox 4 Beta 4-11 randomly hangs (not responding)

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Firefox 4 Beta 4-11 randomly hangs (not responding)

Since Firefox 4 Beta 4 was released and now with the newest Beta 11 Firefox just hangs at random. No particular page, no particular action, it can start to hang when loading a page, or simply when changing between tabs.

If I start Firefox 4 in Safemode it runs perfectly fine, for that reason I have tried to start up Firefox (normally) but with all Extensions and Plugins disabled. In that case it still hangs. I have also tried to start up with a clean profile with no results.

Does any body have an idea of what I could try next?

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: Firefox 4 Beta 4-11 randomly hangs (not responding)

I solved the problem by disabling user studies under the feedback tab in the top right of the browser.

7 REPLIES
New Contributor

I've seen this when the Firefox Sync tries syncing with the cloud. Disabling Sync or un-checking all the options under sync has resolved this for me.

Unfortunately in Firefox 4 Beta 11 never went well with Sync.

New Contributor

Thanks for your suggestion. However I do not have sync setup at all so I dont think that is my problem.

New Contributor

I solved the problem by disabling user studies under the feedback tab in the top right of the browser.

New Contributor

Interesting. I never got to try that, because I have upgraded to Beta 12 and the problem finally seems to have disappeared.

New Contributor

Disabling feedback didn't work for me. My FF memory still keeps on increasing to almost 2GB. While the memory increases, FF is totally non-responsive. After awhile, the memory goes back down and FF is unfroze.

New Contributor

Well, it doesnt sound exactly like the same problem then. Mine kept on freezing, it could stand there for hours and nothing happend.

Are you running Beta 12? Does it freeze when running in Safe Mode? Have you tried to disable all plugins (could be bad behavior in a plugin)?

New Contributor

Go back to Firefox 3.6.16. Uninstall FF4 and download FF 3.6.16: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Browsers/Mozilla-Firefox-Final.shtml

This is hardly a final release. Other problems: 1. FF4 will not allow you on a Google search to click on the initial list. You have to use the down arrow and enter.