cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ctrl+E no longer puts my cursor into the search box.

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Ctrl+E no longer puts my cursor into the search box.

Was this short cut changed to another set of keys? How do you put your cursor into the search box without having to drag your mouse all the way up into that corner?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Ctrl+E no longer puts my cursor into the search box.

The Ctrl + E shortcut is now used to open the Panorama window (View > Tab Groups).

You can use Ctrl + K to go to the Google search bar and Ctrl + L to go to the location bar.

28 REPLIES
Site Moderator

The Ctrl + E shortcut is now used to open the Panorama window (View > Tab Groups).

You can use Ctrl + K to go to the Google search bar and Ctrl + L to go to the location bar.

New Contributor

Thanks! Yea, those work, but I would really prefer to have the Ctrl+E back, because I'm used to doing it with my left hand. Anyway, I'm sure I'll get used to Ctrl+K too.

New Contributor

Ctrl+K requires 2 hands. Ctrl+E is FAR better. Please restore this functionality. Google search is used more frequently than the panorama.

Regular Contributor

Besides,what was wrong with CTRL+space? It was much more handy than CTRL+E .

New Contributor

Changing the functionality of such a long-standing hotkey is ridiculous. Ctrl+E is also the standard hotkey to enter the search box in Internet Explorer, and in Windows Explorer from Vista onwards. I'm sure it's used elsewhere in Windows too.

New Contributor

Ctrl+E is also used in Opera.

Not to mention that Panorama is far from being ready (no multimonitor support, can't save your Panorama session, gets really confusing when you only have one window and no real indication if there are tabs hidden).

New Contributor

Not acceptable, I always use Alt D and Ctrl E to navigate

FIREFOX - Please make it an option to revert back to previous action. I have no need or desire to use the panorama and would like to switch its action to K and the search back to E

New Contributor

Ok, firstly, how many Ctrl keys do you have? How does Ctrl-K require two hands? Can't you do it with your right hand?

Secondly, if you learn to touch-type, using two hands is the quickest and most efficient way of doing all 2-key combinations. For example, for a colon (Smiley Happy you use your left Shift. For exclamation mark, you use your right Shift (!). Similary, for Ctrl-E, you use your right Ctrl, and for Ctrl-K, your left.

I'm here because I missed my Ctrl-E too, but I can deal with Ctrl-K, now that I know it's there. No biggie.

Site Moderator