Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blurry/ugly font-rendering in Firefox 4 RC

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Blurry/ugly font-rendering in Firefox 4 RC

The font-rendering in Firefox 4 RC doesn't look quite right; the fonts are too light and seem a bit blurry. With hardware acceleration disabled, they look much better, but I'd rather not disable hardware acceleration if possible since I would lose out on the benefits of it. Here are some comparisons: Internet explorer and Firefox 4 RC font-rendering and Firefox 3.6.15 and Firefox 4 RC font-rendering You can also see how the spacing is a bit odd with Firefox 4 RC.

This is on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit with a Radeon HD5850 (latest drivers) if it makes any difference.

Is my only option to disable hardware acceleration?

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Blurry/ugly font-rendering in Firefox 4 RC

Reset the page zoom on pages that cause problems.

63 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Try to toggle some of the gfx and layers prefs on the about:config page to enable or disable some features.
Filter: /gfx|layers/

New User

Only setting gfx.direct2d.disabled to true helped but I believe this is the same as disabling 2d acceleration, which is what I want to avoid.

Senior User
Senior User

Well, it usually means that you have an unsupported driver or a problem with directwrite.

Senior User
Senior User

The other thing is that you can try tuning cleartype: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/tune.aspx

New User

Using the configuration options for cleartype, I was finally able to get the fonts to display okay. They still aren't nearly as crisp or nice as without hardware acceleration on, but they are at least good enough to not warrant disabling hardware acceleration.

I think the fonts not looking as nice using cleartype would be a different question/bug, so I'm marking this solved.

Edit: I can't seem to remove marking it solved, unfortunately. ClearType tuner did indeed make fonts appear slightly better and less blurry, but having now compared the results to IE9 with hw acceleration on, it is clear that Firefox 4 still has significantly worse font-rendering.

New User

Just installed FF 4 RC. It is unsolved and unacceptable! Fonts should not look uglier than version three!

Compared to version 3.X, the current font rendering(4 RC, under Windows 7) is unacceptable. Turning off "GPU hardware acceleration" is not an option, since this is a browser feature and you're gonna fall behind IE and Opera. If this a driver issue, put pressure on AMD, Nvidia or Microsoft to fix this until the final release of FF 4!

I care about my favorite browser. This is the reason of my post. Please fix this in the final 4th release! You're going to lose a lot of users, including myself.

Site Moderator

Make sure that you have updated the graphics display card driver to the latest version.

New User

Thanks for your reply, cor-el!

I'm using the latest stable catalyst(11.2) on an ATI hd5700 series under Windows 7. Fonts look even worse than in the screens provided by misfeasor. Just switched back to 3.X version. I just hope that the developers are not going to screw these release up.

New User

I have same configuration and same driver and same problem... Once I try new 11.4 preview driver and still have problem with fonts.

It s looks great only with acceleration off :( Hope that will be improved in final ff4...