cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocomplete in Google toolbar not working in FF 4.0. When I select a search term from drop down menu it doesn't load.

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Autocomplete in Google toolbar not working in FF 4.0. When I select a search term from drop down menu it doesn't load.

As I said, when I type in a partial search term in the Google toolbar and the drop down list appears, if I click on a completed term, it will not autocomplete it.

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: Autocomplete in Google toolbar not working in FF 4.0. When I select a search term from drop down menu it doesn't load.

I have the same problem....when using the mouse...but using the up/down arrows (keyboard) it works fine. Its a small problem but non the less annoying.

24 REPLIES
New User

Re: Autocomplete in Google toolbar not working in FF 4.0. When I select a search term from drop down menu it doesn't load.

I have the same problem....when using the mouse...but using the up/down arrows (keyboard) it works fine. Its a small problem but non the less annoying.

New User

Thank you!

New User

That doesn't work for me and also the search box is very small. Thanks!

Mouse clicking wouldn't work for me either in the Google drop down box but up/down keys followed by enter do. I hope a quick fix is in order for this.

New User

I had the same problem and was super frustrated. I had gotten spoiled by the ability to select from suggestions in the drop down. I searched high and low and found no solution - and didn't find one - so I created one. This works for me because I use Google Shortcuts for favorite URLs (puts them in a dropdown box rather than horizontal line) , so the only thing I was using the google toolbar for was the search box.

1. 1. Uninstall google toolbar
  2. 2. Firefox/Options/Toolbar layout
  3. 3. Drag search up to where old google search box used to be

With this solution, I get the partial search terms and can click on them with my mouse. Google shortcuts keeps my gmail, calendar, google doc, analytics, etc. right there for easy access.

New User

Yes, using the down arrow key works then either hitting Enter or clicking on the Google Search icon next to the toolbar, but this is annoying compared with how it normally lets you click on the suggested search terms and then auto-executes the search. Definitely merits a fix vs. any workarounds.

New User

Same problem here after upgrading to Firefox 4. I can use the down arrow and then hit enter when the search term matches what I am looking for, but I agree that this is annoying. Much easier to choose with the mouse then to have to use the keyboard...

Thank you for the workaround, angelwalk, but I agree with dmosher that a fix is needed, not an end-user workaround! This is obviously a bug introduced by Firefox 4.

When will this get fixed?!?

New User

Fix this so that it works as before ASAP!

New User

Moving the Google search bar to the top level next to the FF address bar helps...that will activate mouse clickability on the google suggestions, BUT the dropdown history links still have to be activated using the arrow down and enter keys.