Cannot close Firefox completely since upgrade to version 18
Since I updated Firefox (actually it updated itself automatically) to version 18, it never closes cleanly anymore. Whether I close it using the cross on the top right, or using the menu option File > Exit, it disappears, but remains in memory.
So next time I try to start Firefox I get the message that Firefox is still running but it is not, just the process is still in memory. Only way to solve this is to use the Task Manager and kill the firefox.exe process. Then I can start Firefox again.
This problem is reproducible on all versions since 18, including the current 19.0.2. It happens every time !
But if I install version 17.0.2, then I have no problems at all ! So it is something introduced in release 18 that broke it.
I of course tried all "suggestions" about testing extensions (same problem in safe mode, so not the problem), disabling hardware acceleration, ...
Can someone please help ? (I am more and more considering switching to Chrome as this is really annoying ...)
Ďalšie informácie o systéme
Nainštalované zásuvné moduly
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.3
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- Identifikácia prehliadača: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0
I have Firefox 19.0.2.
This is not about the machine I am on now, which is my work machine.
Go through this link
Did you try to disable all plugins?
Yes as mentioned in my problem description, I tested all "classical solutions" proposed on this and other forums, including starting in safe mode to disable all plugins, and reading the 2 articles you mention above.
Thanks anyway for your input!
I will however give a try at this other article referred by iamjayakumars as I didnt know this one.
Note that plugins are not affected by running Firefox in Safe mode, so if you do not disable them manually then they are still all enabled even if you run Firefox in Safe mode.
In Firefox Safe mode these changes are effective:
- all extensions are disabled
- the default theme is used (no persona)
- userChrome.css and userContent.css are ignored
- the default toolbar layout is used (localstore-safe.rdf)
- hardware acceleration is disabled
- plugins are not affected
- preferences are not affected