Mozilla Firefox stores all your personal settings, such as bookmarks, passwords and extensions, in a profile folder on your computer, in a location separate from the Firefox program. This article explains how to back up your profile, restore it, or move your profile to a new location or computer.
- To restore or move selected information instead of the entire profile, see Recovering important data from an old profile.
- Just Bookmarks? For backing up, restoring, or moving your bookmarks (not other data), see Restore bookmarks from backup or move them to another computer.
Table of Contents
Locate your profile folder
Click the menu button , click help and select. The Troubleshooting Information tab will open.
- Under the Application Basics section, click on filesfolder will open. . A window with your profile
Backing up your profile
To back up your profile, first close Firefox if it is open and then copy the profile folder to another location.
- Locate your profile folder, as explained above.
- Close Firefox (if open): Click the menu button and then click ExitQuit .
- Go to one level above your profile's folder, i.e. to %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/~/.mozilla/firefox/
- Right-clickHold down the Ctrl key while you click on your profile folder (e.g. xxxxxxxx.default), and select .
- Right-clickHold down the Ctrl key while you click the backup location (e.g. a USB-stick or a blank CD-RW disc), and select .
Restoring a profile backup
- Click the menu button and then click ExitQuit .
- If your existing profile folder and profile backup folder have the same name, simply replace the existing profile folder with the profile backup, then start Firefox. Important: The profile folder names must match exactly for this to work, including the random string of 8 characters. If the names do not match or if you are restoring a backup to a different location, follow the steps below.
Restoring to a different location
If the profile folder names do not match or if you want to move or restore a profile to a different location, do the following:
- Completely close Firefox: Click the menu button and then click ExitQuit .
- Use the Firefox Profile Manager to create a new profile in your desired location, then exit the Profile Manager. Note: If you just installed Firefox on a new computer, you can use the default profile that is automatically created when you first run Firefox, instead of creating a new profile.
- Locate the backed up profile folder on your hard drive or backup medium (e.g., your USB-stick).
- Open the profile folder backup (e.g., the xxxxxxxx.default backup).
- Copy the entire contents of the profile folder backup, such as the mimeTypes.rdfhandlers.json file, prefs.js file, bookmarkbackups folder, etc.
- Locate and open the new profile folder as explained above and then close Firefox (if open).
- Paste the contents of the backed up profile folder into the new profile folder, overwriting existing files of the same name.
- Start Firefox.