Many bugs and crashes with Firefox
Many bugs and crashes with Firefox
- 1 Not able to install an automatic update, via the Menu Help --> About Firefox (or Thunderbird). This bug / problems sits already inside the earlier versions of Firefox and Thunderbird.
- A No new version is shown.
- B Firefox (or Thunderbird) tries to download / install this update, bug become someway corrupted and also stuck in this process.
- C Firefox (or Thunderbird) says to apply the update you must restart the program. After Firefox (or Thunderbird) was restarted, the program keeps trying installing or downloading this same or another update. I see a spinning circle only, no progress bar. Waiting, trying again later or another restart from Firefox (or Thunderbird) does nothing.
Only way to update Firefox is via https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/#product-desktop-release Which always shows the wrong language. Only way to update Thunderbird is via https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/all/#product-desktop-release Here, I can click on letter from my language and download the setup package. After this update installation was done, the Help --> About (program name) window show the program is last version. But not seems not always the last version, like version x.x.01 to x.x.02, then tries to install this newer small version and gets stuck in the same loop or corruption.
- D You must use the setup package, because the installer doesn't work, likes to abort the installation and shows error messages about something gone wrong. Installer package is incomplete or damaged, not for current version and Windows.
- E For last newer versions, they seems not working anymore directly. The program can be restarted once or few times before it seems working. Until other bugs appear.
- F Always adding a new and faulty shortcut, but I have already a working shortcut on my Desktop. Icon hasn't logo from Firefox or Thunderbird, but the setup icon.
- G Sometimes you cannot start Firefox or Thunderbird, due the update did something wrong.
Missing file(s) and/or some strange error message after I clicked on the shortcut from the program. Another run from this "update" setup is needed. Remove a or all "Firefox.exe" from the Taskmanager list.
- H Bug that stops add-ones working. This can be happen due the general function / thing for add-ones inside Firefox crashes, become bugged or corrupted. 1 add-one or more add-ones take the others and stop working, become bugged or corrupted. Add-ones will forget things, their work / functions or do it halfway. Has something to do with the installation and/or data from add-ones. They seems to not having support or do anything about their problems.
- 2 Random many crashes without any useful (error) messages, can be with closing the program itself.
Already from earlier versions of Firefox. And also Thunderbird too. This bug seems to sit deep inside the programs. I should be to use Firefox, Thunderbird, Notepad together, with having a some folders open. Switching between them can be annoying slow. Takes longer time be before responding. I'm seeing empty white or black windows. Only last selected section is visible, has the text and smaller pictures. I can have Firefox and Thunderbird left open for hours and later finding one or both programs are closed by itself. No reason, no permission given to do that. Add a new tab or click on a current site, there is no (fast) respond. Same for buttons, filters and filling in forms on a site. One program can pull the other program in closing to when the one is crashing. Also Windows will show several error messages about programs are using to much memory and must be closed. If this has programs listed, then Firefox seems to appear most here of the programs I'm using.
Updating doesn't fix anything Using the safe mode and new profiles are no long time solutions, every time anything is gone or nog working better.
It seems you must have 2 profiles running at same time when you want read something and not switching back between every minute or so. If 1 is near crashing, you have still the other one running.
- 3 Why I'm seeing 20x to 72x a Firefox.exe in my Taskmanager? They takes a lot of memory, showing different sizes. I started Firefox once. This is not needed.
- 4 Some sites seems to not work in Firefox or takes longer time.
Same for responding on clicking, using filters, buttons and sending forms. Clicking on those (annoying) accept (popup) windows. Unable to login or confirm an (security) action like this with a word or number given via e-mail. Might be something for the site. When you need to use Private Browsing for this.
- 5 Icons from installed add-ones don't appear in main bar, at right side. How to use them? Before they did.
- 6 Site using third party host sites are slow and mostly don't work. Connection errors.
"Seems fine here, but something with you". Refresh page doesn't fix it. Wait and try again later, how long? Firefox should block these sites.
- 7 After updating to Firefox version 115.0.2 and continue my last session, there are appear several new bugs.
- A I cannot longer visit sites. Even earlier visited sites don't load. Firefox keeps stuck in loading or receiving site info data. Sites don't appear, just an empty (white) page. Also about:support doesn't work. Strangely, I can visit Google.com but not open any site from there. I tried Private Browsing, so no add-one can do something with this.
I had Firefox running for some hours, these sites are still stuck in "loading" or something else.
- B Right click to open a site or page in a new tab doesn't longer work. Right click menu appears, but action will not be done. Which can be strange at top, missing or changed items.
- C Same to copy line of text or picture, action isn't longer "remembered".
Now, I created again a new profile and again this doesn't fix them. Even more bugs and stranger. Again lost everything, settings, sites, installing dictionaries and add-ones. Stupid.
- C1 I can visit websites, but with some strange things, not always working fine.
That makes it to post my problems here.
- C2 Cannot longer type keywords in the addressbar and after pressing Enter, you should visit Google with search results. Firefox thinks the given keyword is a not existing website.
In Settings (via about:preferences#search), there are no search engines (Google, Wikipedia, ect) in the list, who should be there by default. Also there's no default search engine selected, the list therefor is small and empty.
- C3 Yet visited near 10 sites, who I cannot visit any of the sites with my other long time using profile. Then Firefox crashed by random, white empty window. Windows adds not responding at end of the program's title bar. I could restart Firefox after that, get the "continue after a crash" tab and revisit any of these sites in their opened tabs.
- C4 A site keeps saying cookies are disabled / denied, while minimal are accepted when some of that stupid (popup) windows did show. This means: Some stupid messages don't disappear after clicking "OK", the "X" or close buttons / links. Site might not work fine or on some parts. Something can follow you browsing through the site. Not able to visit that site or part.
- C5 A site keeps saying there is an ad-blocker installed, but there is no add-one like that installed. This means: Stupid messages like these keep appearing; site cannot work fine; you cannot visit the site due some invisible wall or blocking thing. Some can follow you browsing through the site. This is very annoying.
- C6 With one profile I cannot longer open sites who worked before. Keeps loading, shows URL in addressbar and on the tab.
And the about: .... pages. While with a new profile I can visit those sites, but right click menu is bugged.
- Cannot open site or page in new tab. Only on Google based sites are working for unknown reasons, but not YouTube.
- Missing items or I can see more gray things and lines.
- Cannot copy selected text. Stil having old or wrong text.
- Cannot Search with Google, this option is missing.
- Cannot see the source code from the page, due action is not happen.
- On sites that are working you can only read that current content. Can open links in new tabs, but their pages are empty / white, keep loading forever.
- A few sites don't load and still giving a empty page. Loading takes longer then needed. For same site.
- Use Google by typing the keyword in the addressbar doesn't visit Google site, but Firefox thinks the site doesn't exist, is wrong typed. You must go to Google.com and typing the keyword in the textbox here.
- If a site worked first, then later it cannot working longer, keeps stuck in loading and showing a empty white page / tab.
- Login for some sites is not longer possible, email send with security word or number doesn't appear. I can send myself a test e-mail to this e-mail address. Waited the time enough and made a new attempt, still the same.
Windows PC. Firefox version 117.0 x64. Via Help --> About Firefox, because about:support doesn't show the version and build.
All Replies (12)
We're sorry to hear that Firefox is crashing. In order to assist you better, please follow the steps below to provide us crash IDs to help us learn more about your crash.
The crash report is several pages of data. We need the report numbers to see the whole report.
- Enter about:crashes in the Firefox address bar and press Enter. A list of Submitted/Unsubmitted Crash Reports will appear, similar to the one shown below.
- Copy the 5 most recent Submitted Report IDs that start with bp- and then go back to your forum question and paste those IDs into the "Post a Reply" box.
Note: If a recent Report ID does not start with bp- click on it to submit the report.
(Please don't take a screenshot of your crashes, just copy and paste the IDs. The below image is just an example of what your Firefox screen should look like.)
Thank you for your help!
More information and further troubleshooting steps can be found in the Troubleshoot Firefox crashes (closing or quitting unexpectedly) article.
Boot the computer in Windows Safe Mode with network support to see if that has effect.
You can create a new profile as a quick test to see if your current profile is causing the problem.
See "Creating a profile":
If the new profile works, you can transfer files from a previously used profile to the new profile, but be cautious not to copy corrupted files to avoid carrying over problems.
A few remarks: You posted with a Firefox 115 user agent on Windows 7, what would be consistent for Windows 7 (115.2.1esr).
- Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0
But you mention Firefox 117 and that version wouldn't run on Windows 7 (minimum for 116+ is Windows 10). Is that a different device or are you running Firefox in compatibility mode ?
There are none here, @Paul.
I made several new profiles and they don't solve anything, @cor-el.
Everything is gone and I must start over. Maybe a week, visited a few sites, a couple of hours or just a few minutes. The Firefox crashes again, without or with closing itself. Taking other running programs and opened folders with it. Firefox, those programs or my whole compute become very slow. A huge delay. White and/or black empty windows from other opened programs and/or folders. Updating, Private browsing, Safe mode and making new profiles aren't solution at all.
I tried again se see the version, via Help --> About Firefox, but Firefox crashes. This windows become empty / white and clicking on it making Windows saying Firefox isn't responding anymore. Choices to wait or close the program.
When I right click on Firefox.exe file, then Details tab says 22.214.171.12491 and 115.0.2 as versions.
The about:support doesn't show anything by version fields. I can see what it seems the default items, who are several links and buttons. With Firefox as name.
I started Firefox again, Help --> About Firefox, again a circle keeps spinning and downloading / installing the update or searching for updates. Later Firefox said updating gone wrong and I must download the update by myself. Have a "Firefox Setup 117.0.1.exe" in Download folder.
I could use Firefox for hours, then Firefox crashed again, by closing itself and not showing any message. Even asking for permission to must be closed. I visited some sites and keep them open. Something you should be able of. Bye bye any tabs who stayed open so far... They are gone now. Unknown why this keeps happen.
Just clicking on the Firefox window, the top menu, a button or that downward arrow at right upper corner are enough to give a white / empty Firefox window, some small delay and the spinning blue circle (hourglass) from Windows self.
I should be able to have Firefox running for hours, maybe days and without crashing or delay like bugs. Several hours without using Firefox, or just visiting a few sites. Also while having Thunderbird running. With another programs. With a few folders or documents opened.
I cannot install add-ones, due always I see thee error message about an aborted installation because a damaged add-on. Even the add-ones I could install and use before.
I cannot visit sites. Firefox keeps stuck in loading mode, tabs still are empty. I can see their URL on the tab and in title bar when tab is selected. I cannot see the Page info, with some delay later it shows "about:blank" on it. If a site can be loaded, you cannot see everything. Site can get bugged, not everything seems to work fine. From missing pictures and text sections, to halfway loaded. Popup windows and other message don't disappear, they can keep following you or site become useless, unable to visit the site further, due some invisible wall or something like that. Only Google.com seems to work, but not always. When I want to open a site from the search results then these sites don't work. They are still empty / white and keep loading forever. In other events, right click menu isn't longer working or bugged. My given actions aren't performed. Like want to open a site in a new tab, select text or picture to copy it, see the source code of the page.
I started Firefox again, after last crash. Help --> About Firefox, here it says version 117.0 (64-bits) Then Firefox fond an update and tries to install it. "Downloading update 0 KB of 60.4 MB" Firefox update gets stuck at applying update. (Or something like that.) Downloading seems to work, but unable to finish the installation. I'm waiting for 20 minutes later and still same. Closing and opening that window again doesn't anything more.
I see 14x Firefox.exe inside my Taskmanager list, when I have just 1 Firefox window open.
I see the crashing, not longer fast responding anymore, having delays, there's more waiting time;
- With closing itself.
- Firefox closing itself and other programs like Thunderbird, near the same time.
- Opened windows become white or black and empty.
- Unable to update them via their Help menu. Or in some way, their installations goes wrong.
Already before with the earlier versions of Firefox and Thunderbird. This will happen many and at random times.
Just to copy an URL from Firefox to a new e-mail with Thunderbird or in Notepad takes several minutes. Which should not be, because it a too long time for such easy task.
I waited now for a hour already and still nothing more is done. Still same message is there, being stuck in applying that update. Need a different way to download and install those updates. Just by myself.
Clearly there are many deep bugs from the are risen. Who should get a very fast removal.
Worked a few hours, then Firefox crashed again. Just try to see if the update was now installed, but no. Menu Help --> About Firefox Gives white screen instead. Clicking on Firefox window, becomes soft and adds not responding to title bar. Blue or green spinning circle. Firefox isn't longer responding. Some minutes later, Windows shows not enough memory message and lists Firefox as the bad program who must be closed to solve this.
Menu Help --> About Firefox Version 117.0 (64-bits). Still stuck in the applying update task.
Get again a stupid update, what isn't helping me, bugs are not solved, so remove it!
Menu Help --> About Firefox is still stuck in applying update with spinning circle.
I kept Firefox open for hours and not using it since last time. When I visited some site later, Firefox crashed again. The Firefox window become some soft white color and Windows adds "not responding anymore" text in title bar. You must close Firefox first to use this program again. Everything you have open is gone.
I installed this poor made update and get more problems. Of course, the update didn't do anything to solve any others bugs and problems. Also making new profiles does nothing to solve them too.
This version doesn't install add-ones for some unknown reason. I'm always getting a message about he installation is aborted due the add-one is damaged. Even some from the recommended in your empty add-ones list. Only the dictionaries get installed.
Firefox version 117.0 (64-bits) on my PC. Who ran before without this trash and those bugs.
Again Firefox worked a few days, then crashed again. The opening of new tabs takes longer time. Firefox seems not fast respond anymore. I still seeing white windows. Soft white windows for current Firefox folder and smaller (popup) windows. Windows keeps saying Firefox does something wrong and must be closed. Just open a new tab or window for an URL here, makes Firefox.
I cannot install add-ones and those who I already uses before. Even the recommend ones on the about:addons page keep giving invalid or damaged add-one error message.
I cannot longer use Google as my default search engine. Under about:preferences#search nothing is selected and Google is missing in this list. Nothing about how to install Google as a search engine, visiting Google.com doesn't give the option to add the search engine. There is no default search engine.
I cannot update Windows via the menu Help --> About Firefox, which is still stuck in applying update with spinning circle. Or searching and find an update who cannot be installed, asked to download the update manually from https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?reason=manual-update Or doesn't find an update at all.
I keep seeing the "XURL Runner" "Cold not determine any profile running in background task mode!"-error message by random. I keep seeing the "Firefox" "Couldn't load XPCOM"-error message, mostly when I try to start Firefox. Only ones who have English text. Unknown why. Unknown what they mean. Unknown how to remove or fix them. I got both ones already in several earlier versions before. All updates so far, don't fix them.
Sites keep saying there is an adblocker installed, but there is no one installed! Due, I cannot install add-ones like them.
Sites keep showing the cookies message or saying cookies aren't accept, but I already choose to accept the minimal ones heren.
Firefox seems slower Loading sites takes longer time. Even I visited some of those sites before. Tab shows spinning thing longer then needed.
I cannot login on a few others sites, only my e-mail address was filled in. No e-mail message gets send when I use a "your forgot your password"-option. No e-mail message gets send where I can login, with their security information. I cannot login and access my account there, due they have only an e-mail support.
Setup has corrupted content, due keep saying same error messages. Missing some files, or wrong files installed. Something couldn't found in the .dll files. The Firefox.exe isn't a 32-bit program. I tried to reinstall that 117 version, but I keep seeing the same error messages, as the "XURL Runner" and "Couldn't load XPCOM"-error messages.
Always login to my Firefox account, because many crashes and this doesn't happen automatically. I need to keep Firefox open, some sites cannot be revisited later, because having changed content.
Taskmanager shows Firefox.exe 12 times, or more for 1 opened Firefox window. Unknown why this is needed.
In just few minutes after a restart, Firefox keeps crashing, not responding and showing white windows. Trying to open a window, just the version popup or clicking to do an action seems enough.
I restarted Firefox and just 15 pages and see again the white screen of a crashing program. I clicked on the Firefox window, then the Windows saying the program doesn't respond anymore and must be closed. The waiting choice isn't an option, because this doesn't work.
I installed the Firefox version 116.0.3 (64-bits) and this keeps saying there is a new update, who cannot installed and I must this do by myself. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?reason=manual-update Menu Help --> About Firefox popup window is now bugged. It becomes white and empty, if it appears. Then Firefox crashes again, Window saying the program isn't longer responding. But, the about:support page shows the name, version and both IDs. Most fields have text now, besides the default links and default buttons. I tried to install a few add-ones from the add-ones recommendations page about:addons, who seems now get installed. Also, I can see that Google is now my default search engine.
I added pictures from some error messages.
Again Firefox was closed by itself, while not very much used at the time before. No reason was given. Did not ask for permission. Program keeps crashing.
If not, then Windows shows not enough memory and lists Firefox as the program.
Slow responds while using Firefox. White or black empty windows. Just reading large text on the current pages. Copy, cut and paste some text, is with delay or not happen at all. Switching between Firefox and Thunderbird, Notepad and other folders, who I have opened and should able to use together.
Versions 100x is worse, poor made and not tested.
After a couple of days Firefox worked fine. So far. Beside being slow and not responding anymore after some time. With white or black empty windows when I use another programs there. I see a spinning blue circle at the time. Then I can work again, after a few minutes. It will happen by random and return later. For unknown reason and without asking my permission Firefox crashed again, by closing itself.
Firefox 117 won't work properly on Windows 7 if you really are on that platform and aren't running Firefox in compatibility mode. For Windows 7 you need to install Firefox 115.3.1 ESR.
Firefox 115.3.1 ESR:
Version 117 has to many bugs, making difficult and annoying to use it. Firefox keeps crashing too many times. Within a few hours already. Back to version 116x.