Latest update removed all saved passwords
I lost all my saved passwords with the update 2 days ago; my bookmarks are still there. How can I recover them?
- Shockwave Flash 32.0 r0
- Useragent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:67.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/67.0
Look on your desktop. Do you see a folder called; Old Firefox? Look inside. Look for the folder with the latest creation date.
Type about:profiles<enter> in the address bar. How many profiles are listed? How many should be there? Also, open the folder in your file explorer.
In the event that the passwords information is lost, you should record all information in a separate text file somewhere else on your hard drive, or written down. You can easily copy and paste if you need to do so. If you are concerned about someone else looking at that file, you can compress it using a password.
hi, firefox 67.0.2 didn't contain any code changes relating to how passwords are stored - however we've heard from a couple of users that their avg/avast security software would be corrupting the firefox password store after each reboot of the system unfortunately.
you could check if this is the case for you as well:
- enter about:support into the address bar and click the button to open your profile folder.
- then close all open firefox windows
- in your profile folder, look for a file named 'logins.json.corrupted' - in case it's existing please rename it to 'logins.json'
- your list of passwords might returning after you start firefox again
if this is applicable to your situation, then please reach out to avg/avast's support as well in order to inquire why their software is interfering with the firefox password store and if they have fix for this. otherwise please uninstall their software for the moment...