Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More

Today I updated to Firefox 8. It installed, then started to look for add-ons. It never opened beyond this stage.

  • 3 replies
  • 4 have this problem
  • 3 views
  • Last reply by cor-el

more options

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but while i can see firefox.exe under processes, nothing else happens apart from very high CPU use. I also cannot open in safe mode & there are no reports under "%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Crash Reports\submitted" I don't have Roboform or Trusteer.

Modified by martin15l

All Replies (3)

more options

See:


A possible cause is security software (firewall) that blocks or restricts Firefox or the plugin-container process without informing you, possibly after detecting changes (update) to the Firefox program.

Remove all rules for Firefox from the permissions list in the firewall and let your firewall ask again for permission to get full unrestricted access to internet for Firefox and the plugin-container process and the updater process.

See:

more options

Thanks- tried this but didn't help. Then found that my wife's profile had updated & is running FF8! My daughter's also updated today. It is just in my profile that nothing will load & the CPU use goes up to 50+%

more options

It is possible that there is a problem with the file(s) that store the extensions registry.
Delete the files extensions.* (e.g. extensions.sqlite, extensions.ini, extensions.cache, extensions.rdf) and compatibility.ini in the Firefox profile folder to reset the extensions registry. New files will be created when required.

See "Corrupt extension files":

If you see disabled, not compatible, extensions in "Tools > Add-ons > Extensions" then click the Tools button at the left side of the Search Bar (or click the "Find Updates" button in older Firefox versions) to do a compatibility check or see if there is a compatibility update available.


Create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.

See "Basic Troubleshooting: Make a new profile":

There may be extensions and plugins installed by default in a new profile, so check that in "Tools > Add-ons > Extensions & Plugins" in case there are still problems.

If that new profile works then you can transfer some files from the old profile to that new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.

See: