Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More

Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long

  • 5 replies
  • 49 have this problem
  • Last reply by Marshallj

more options

When I try to get any Google page I get;

Secure Connection Failed An error occurred during a connection to SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length. (Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

   The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
   Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site.

I have cleared all history, restarted with add-ons disabled, reset Firefox, uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox and just about everything else I can think of and what is suggested by web searches. I have scanned using Malwarebytes and Avast whilst in safe mode and found no nasties. This happens when I try to connect to or maps etc. If I remove the s from https it comes up with a page that says my flash player is out of date. Obviously I don't click on it. Adobe Flash Player is up to date. No problem connecting to ebay, Amazon and other sites.

I realise this isn't specific to Firefox as it happens with IE as well but I have to start somewhere and have found Mozilla support very helpful, so could you help please? Thanks Andy

All Replies (5)

more options

Update; happens with Google search and maps but I can access Google Calendar, Play, Drive etc.

more options

Ok I've sorted it. Not sure for how long but it's fixed right now so I'm reporting back in case it can help anyone else.

I reset my DNS to Google's own. Instructions here:

The important thing to note is to disable your internet connection after changing this, then re-enable.

I also followed this to try to clean up whatever caused the problem:

Don't know how much use it was... but I don't like the idea of some wiley virus lurking around in my cache...

more options

I have had this problem for a while. Strange that with so many people reporting the issue, I haven't been able to find a solution anywhere. I tried the links you posted, and the first link (the pandapow one) came back with the same error, until I switched the url to HTTP instead of HTTPS. Unfortunately, my content filtering service blocked both sites. I've sent them a request to review them for possible unblocking, so I'll see what happens.

more options

Just tried changing my DNS settings to Google Public DNS, following the instructions here . No change.

more options

Just tried it now, and it's working! I can get onto "Https://". Hopefully the DNS setting change actually worked, and will continue to work.