Firefox 16.0.2 does not actually download files to my computer (Mac running OSX 10.8.2) - not to downloads or any other specificied location.
When I try to download a file, everything at first appears to function properly. I get the option to specfic the download location, for example. It does not matter if I accept the default location (downloads), or if I specify a custom location (for example, my Desktop). Once I initiate the download there is a brief animated sequence showing a file icon going somewhere. Once that's done, however, I find there has been no download accomplished. The file is not in the specfied location, and a searching the computer does not show that it went anywhere else either. I have no difficulties downloading files with Safari. I would prefer to use Firefox.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
when I upgraded to the new OS and the new version of Firefox
- Version 184.108.40.20612
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.23
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- Office Live Update v1.0
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- DivX Web Player version 220.127.116.11
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0
Hello Meade.Pimsler, the 10.8 mac official supported from the next version of firefox(17.0), see : Firefox 17 System Requirements not the current 16.x, see: Firefox 16 System Requirements, try to delete the download actions to see if the issue solved: delete mimeTypes.rdf file in the Profile folder and check it again.
Do you have any anti-virus software running that may be removing the files?
same issue with same system specs. Google Chrome and Safari download the files just fine. Firefox used to dowmload files fine.
Firefox will only download and save the files. It the latter doesn't happen then this is likely caused by security software or a permission problem.
Did you do a search for those files to check that the files do not end up in a temp folder?