This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Why do I get notifications telling me my browser is out of date when it's not, & why does it "hang" so often?
Question I am using Firefox 8.0. I have been receiving notifications on many webpages that my version of Firefox is out of date (hotmail is one example) & to please update my browser. Also, I get way too many incidents of Firefox "(not responding)". Even after disabling ALL add-ons, even the ones I consider necessary to my enjoyment of the browser. For every hour I spend on the internet 15 mins of that time is spent staring @ a black screen & waiting for it to respond again. I am finding this very frustrating & would appreciate some assistance...or a better browser.
States that I am running a version of Firefox that I am not. It says below that I am running version 3.05 but according to the "about Firefox" tab I am running version 8.0 & when I check for updates it says that Firefox is up to date.
I have tried to re-download & re-install numerous times to no avail.
All Replies (4)
You may need to reset your User Agent; it is showing that you are using Firefox 3.0.5. The User Agent can sometimes be changed by something you download/install.
- See --> https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/websites%20or%20add-ons%20incorrectly%20report%20incompatible%20browser#w_reset-your-user-agent
- See --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Agent
If this reply solves your problem, please click "Solved It" next to this reply when signed-in to the forum.
Not related to your question, but...
You may need to update some plug-ins. Check your plug-ins and update as necessary:
- Plug-in check --> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in: Installing (or Updating) the Shockwave plugin with Firefox
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape: Installing/Updating Adobe Reader in Firefox
- Shockwave Flash (Adobe Flash or Flash): Updating Flash in Firefox
- Next Generation Java Plug-in for Mozilla browsers: Installing or Updating Java in Firefox
Modified by SafeBrowser
Thanks for trying SafeBrowser, but I only had one of the useragent preferences mentioned in the article & when I right-clicked on it I could see the reset option but it was blacked out & not available for me to click. :(
Which preference could you see? What value did it have? Did you click on this preference, and then right-click? Did you try it while all your plugins were disabled?
This is most likely caused by the general.useragent.override pref and probably added by Fast Browser Search (FBSMTWB).
See these pages and threads about Fast Browser Search (FBSMTWB in the user agent, Help > About).