How to automatically select (jump to) tab sent (shared) from another device on Firefox Sync account
I use Firefox on a few devices, one of them being Mac connected to a projector. When I share tabs (url) from any device to the Mac, it receives it, loads it on a new tab to the right of the active tab, but it doesn't switch to it automatically. The tab shows a blue dot until I manually click on it.
Is there a way to auto switch the tab that was just received?
This is not related to the "When I Open a Link in a New Tab, Switch to it Immediately" option in preferences, which only changes the behavior of links opened on the same machine, but not the ones sent from another device.
I want to achieve this mainly to automatically play YouTube videos on the projector, but also other pages that I would like to see on the big screen without having to reach the mouse on the mac.
I guess this should be supported natively, but looking at the about:config I couldn't find anything obvious. I only wan to use third party extensions as a last option.
All Replies (3)
Hi Airton, please ignore the unofficial support solicitation that someone posted. We have no idea where that leads and don't want you to get scammed.
Hi Airton, on Mac/Windows/Linux, there is a specific setting for whether to open tabs from external applications in a new tab in the active window or in its own window. But I don't think there is a specific setting for whether external links open in the background. Hmm. Do you want to test out opening external links in a new window and see whether those get focus? Here's how:
(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button accepting the risk.
(2) In the search box in the page, type or paste neww and pause while the list is filtered
(3) Double-click the browser.link.open_newwindow.override.external preference to display an editing field, and change the value to 2 then press Enter/Return or click the blue check mark button to save the change.
More info on about:config: Configuration Editor for Firefox.
Here's a little more context on that setting and the related settings:
(A) browser.link.open_newwindow - for links in Firefox tabs
This is the one that has a checkbox on the Preferences page:
- 3 = divert new window to a new tab (default)
- 2 = allow link to open a new window
- 1 = force new window into same tab
(B) browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction - for links in Firefox tabs
By default, if a page sets width, height, or toolbars for a popup, Firefox will let it be a separate window. To force those into a tab as well, you can change this preference to 0:
- 0 = apply the setting under (A) to ALL new windows (even script windows with features)
- 2 = apply the setting under (A) to normal windows, but NOT to script windows with features (default)
- 1 = override the setting under (A) and always use new windows
(C) browser.link.open_newwindow.override.external - for links in other programs
- -1 = apply the setting under (A) to external links (default)
- 3 = open external links in a new tab in the last active window
- 2 = open external links in a new window
- 1 = open external links in the last active tab replacing the current page
To return to normal if things go haywire, there's an arrow-like reset button at the right end of each of those rows if it has a non-default value.
Modified by jscher2000
This doesn't sound like a question for Android (mobile), so I will move the thread to regular Firefox support.