Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More

Latin-extended characters displayer wrong

  • 2 replies
  • 1 has this problem
  • 48 views
  • Last reply by Gregoric

more options

Hello

After updating Firefox to 74.0 (x64) at Windows 10 Home x64 (1909) I'm encountering a problem with displaying of certain latin-extended symbols. They seem to display in different weight or completely different font than all the other text. It happens on several sites only, e.g. messenger.com. I did not care about ugliness of this bug, but since it also appears in my Joomle admin panel, it really has influence of my workflow.

What's the problem

  • characters ąęćńśżź display different than all the others on certain websites (1. on the screenshot)

What I've tried to fix it

  • running ClearType wizard
  • checking if hardware acceleratin is on - it is on
  • changing **gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode** to different values
  • checked "Allow sites to use fonts different than used here" option - it is on (2. on the screenshot)
  • tried privacy mode to avoid possible cache problems - did not help
  • (edit) updated drivers for GeForce card

Any help well appreciated. My regards! Grzegorz

Attached screenshots

Modified by Gregoric

Chosen solution

Could be font issue and the font that Firefox uses on those page might be corrupted or otherwise not working properly.

You can right-click and select "Inspect Element" to open the builtin Inspector with this element selected.

You can check in the Rules tab in the right panel in the Inspector what font-family is used for selected text. You can check in the Font tab in the right panel in the Inspector what font is actually used because Firefox might be using a different font than specified by the website.

You can try different default fonts are you showed in the right part of the screenshot.

Read this answer in context 👍 1

All Replies (2)

more options

Chosen Solution

Could be font issue and the font that Firefox uses on those page might be corrupted or otherwise not working properly.

You can right-click and select "Inspect Element" to open the builtin Inspector with this element selected.

You can check in the Rules tab in the right panel in the Inspector what font-family is used for selected text. You can check in the Font tab in the right panel in the Inspector what font is actually used because Firefox might be using a different font than specified by the website.

You can try different default fonts are you showed in the right part of the screenshot.

more options

cor-el said

Could be font issue and the font that Firefox uses on those page might be corrupted or otherwise not working properly.

I had done that already any everything I saw was N\HelveticaNeue being used and so I did not investigate further. After reading your reply I realised that it may be the HelveticaNeue that is the problem. And voila! Problem was that I reinstalled HelveticaNeue recently but with font files that had no latin-extended characters. And thus, since Messenger and the other sites used font declaration like "HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif" or likely, it started displaying the faulty font.

After removing the HelveticaNeue everything is back to normal, as another sans-serif is used for these sites.

Thanks, regards!