Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More

The media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the media used features your browser did not support.

  • 5 replies
  • 3 have this problem
  • 28609 views
  • Last reply by Ishtar

more options

Hello,


While trying to watch "big" mp4 files, I get the error: The media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the media used features your browser did not support.


Smaller files seem to work fine. The problem seem to start around 3-4 GB.


Things I tried:

- Safe mode

- Refresh firefox

- Completely wipe and reinstall, the problem remains.


Since I was due for an OS upgrade, I upgraded to High Sierra. Fresh install (wiped the disk), fresh Firefox install, and the problem remains.

Chrome will load it up after 2-3 seconds. Safari gives the same error.

The file also works in all the players I tried: VLC 1.x, VLC 2.x, VLC 3.x, MPV, MplayerX.

So to recap: Fresh High Sierra install, fresh Firefox install (without sync - no addons), unable to read MP4 files bigger than 3-4 GB.

Help?

Modified by Ishtar

Chosen solution

Yes I posted after restoring the profile, but after testing.

I encode my own videos so I cannot share them. The problem is with AAC. Firefox doesn't appear to like AAC in big files. Changing to MP3 solved the issue, although quality suffers.

Read this answer in context 👍 0

All Replies (5)

more options

Hi, please try this : Profile : Make a new one and test ...:

As your Profile is cluttered with old add-ons/Extensions ++

more options

No, as mentioned later I reinstalled without sync or addons when I reinstalled the OS.

more options

Ishtar said

Hello, While trying to watch "big" mp4 files, I get the error: The media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the media used features your browser did not support.

Since we have no idea where your getting this stream or what services it is no one can see or test the problem out.

more options

Ishtar said

No, as mentioned later I reinstalled without sync or addons when I reinstalled the OS.

I mentioned a New Profile as when I look at the date supplied when you made the question I see active and inactive Extensions :

Active app.telemetry Page Speed Monitor 17.1.10 (jid0-OqxcSY9VMeMm8jJqJYy5KM0nmS8@jetpack) Cookie-Editor 1.6.0.0 ({c3c10168-4186-445c-9c5b-63f12b8e2c87}) Disable JavaScript 2.2.3 ({41f9e51d-35e4-4b29-af66-422ff81c8b41}) Forget Me Not - Forget cookies & other data 1.0.3 (forget-me-not@lusito.info) IP Address and Domain Information 4.0.1.1 (jid0-jJRRRBMgoShUhb07IvnxTBAl29w@jetpack) Snap Links 3.1.2.4 (snaplinks@snaplinks.mozdev.org) Tampermonkey 4.7.5788 (firefox@tampermonkey.net) uBlock Origin 1.16.20 (uBlock0@raymondhill.net)

Inactive Firebug 2.0.19 (firebug@software.joehewitt.com) (Inactive) Free Visio Viewer (Mac, Windows, Linux) 4.0 (jid0-3uZ3BaNBn8N0eej5ThAAoBGd4SA@jetpack) (Inactive) GNOME Shell integration 10.1 (chrome-gnome-shell@gnome.org) (Inactive) Jitsi Desktop Streamer 0.1.1 (videoconf@steinberg.de) (Inactive) NoScript 10.1.9.1 ({73a6fe31-595d-460b-a920-fcc0f8843232}) (Inactive) Password Exporter 1.3.4 ({B17C1C5A-04B1-11DB-9804-B622A1EF5492}) (Inactive) Pushbullet 335 (jid1-BYcQOfYfmBMd9A@jetpack) (Inactive) Session Manager 0.8.1.13 ({1280606b-2510-4fe0-97ef-9b5a22eafe30}) (Inactive) Tab Auto Reload 3.1.0 (TabAutoReload@schuzak.jp) (Inactive) Warn Before Quit 0.8.0 (jid1-7OsjI9sxTAYQNg@jetpack) (Inactive) YouTube High Definition 63.1.5 ({7b1bf0b6-a1b9-42b0-b75d-252036438bdc}) (Inactive)

It is how we use the information supplied to come to conclusions as to what questions to ask or what could be conflicting.

So reply back as I do not have a answer myself but was letting you know why I asked that.

more options

Chosen Solution

Yes I posted after restoring the profile, but after testing.

I encode my own videos so I cannot share them. The problem is with AAC. Firefox doesn't appear to like AAC in big files. Changing to MP3 solved the issue, although quality suffers.