The password manager no longer works after a recent Moodle update.
I'm using Firefox 35.0.1, which used to remember my password at Moodle, but since an update to Moodle 2.8.1, I may briefly see the stored login info but the screen quickly moves to blank login boxes every time. Yet I can see that it is stored in Saved Passwords. (The password info will save correctly in Safari.)
Additional System Details
- Adobe® Acrobat® Plug-in for Web Browsers, Version 11.0.10
- Provides information about the default web browser
- Office Live Update v1.0
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 16.0 r0
- Widevine Media Optimizer 184.108.40.20657
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0
Are you clearing the cookies at shutdown? That might be the problem.
Thanks, but clearing cookies at shutdown makes no difference.
You shouldn't clear cookies on shut down, but let them expire instead.
Details like websites remembering you (log you in automatically) are stored in a cookie.
- Create a cookie 'allow' exception to keep such cookies, especially in case of secure websites and when cookies expire when Firefox is closed.
- Firefox > Preferences > Privacy > "Use custom settings for history" > Cookies: Exceptions
In case you use "Clear history when Firefox closes" or otherwise clear history:
- do not clear the Cookies
- do not clear the Site Preferences
Clearing "Site Preferences" clears all exceptions for cookies, images, pop-up windows, software installation, passwords, and other website specific data.
Clearing cookies will remove all specified (selected) cookies including cookies with an allow exception that you would like to keep.
Wish I could say that saving cookies or clearing them at shutdown worked, but neither makes a difference, nor does allowing Exceptions for the Moodle website.
The site may have change their login code. I know for a fact that Firefox password manager doesn't work for Hulu anymore.
It's possible the site has new login code with the update--Moodle is freeware, so my administrators didn't do it--but Safari still works so I don't see why Firefox shouldn't as well. Consistently, Firefox has far fewer problems with Moodle than Safari does.
This may sound like a minor problem, and I guess it is, but I login several times a day so it's annoying, and I'd like to find a remedy if at all possible.
If not, I'll live with it, and thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.
I've used Mozilla Support often in the past when researching this and other problems, but never posted until now. Not sure if I'm supped to answer the "did this help" question after each attempt. Am I?
Modified by Mandatta