Google Search stops responding in Firefox 28
I have searched an read and tried the following, but the problem keeps coming back.
After "some" period of time in a browser session, Google bookmarked pages and searches just stop responding. They look like they try to connect, but fail after timing out in a minute or two. Bing, Yahoo, etc all work. ONLY Google. No other website I can find has this issue.
-Sometimes, after a few minutes they work again without any intervention from me.
-Sometimes, restarting the browser clears the problem.
-Most often deleting cookies clears the issue for an extended period, but it comes back.
-Sometime clearing he cache clears the problem for a shorter period.
-It is not an extension or add on issue.
-Disabling IPV6 did not help.
-It does not happen in IE or Pale Moon so not a system issue.
Any ideas what to try? I may have tried more that I am not recalling. Happy to play until this is found. It is annoying.
Modified by in4m8n
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 14.0 r0
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.60.2 for Mozilla browsers
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.07
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 105
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.5.5"
- Google Update
- NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
- Intel web components updater - Installs and updates the Intel web components
- Intel web components for Intel® Identity Protection Technology
- CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Mycamera Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0
Do a malware check with several malware scanning programs on the Windows computer. Please scan with all programs because each program detects different malware. All these programs have free versions.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:
- Microsoft Safety Scanner:
- Windows Defender:
- Spybot Search & Destroy:
- Kasperky Free Security Scan:
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- Anti-rootkit utility TDSSKiller:
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
All run. Only AdwCleaner found anything and those were all innocuous. I suspected as much but figured I would do this to get it all out of the way.
No other suggestions? Very strange I can run for hours without issue. Then a new session will have the problem. Close, reopen and good again. And only with Google!
Thought I had it by purging all history, but no. FWIW, Pale Moon does not have the same issue.
Any ideas? I hate to can Firefox and I do not want to change search engines.
Modified by in4m8n
Looking like I found the culprit.
Care to share it with us?
Someone is watching this :)
Well, not 100% sure yet, but deleted the two search*.* in the profile - one was .json. Seems to have fixed the issue.
Please also make sure you update to Firefox 30, 28 is not supported or secure.
Well, this did not solve it. Juts happened again.
And I think 30 is an embarrassment to what Firefox was. I removed it the moment I saw how it had changed from a configurable and customizable program that worked MY way to a Chrome clone and until you come to your senses I will not be updating from 28.
But thanks for thinking of me.
You can customize 30 to look just like 28, How to make the new Firefox look like the old Firefox, and it's better if you update or switch to another browser than keep using an older version.