Failure to implement and retain password
I had been using numerous sites where I my username and password was appropriately retained using Firefox 36.0.4. With the update to 37.0.4, all this failed. My stored usernames and passwords failed. Deleting these credentials would not work - I would enter them, the dialogue about whether to store these would flash in the upper left of the browser window, and I would be asked for my credentials again. Happened on multiple sites on different servers. Deleting profile and reinstalling V37.0.4 did not fix. The only solution was to scrub out V37.0.4 and reinstall the prior V36.0.4. How to communicate this to the Firefox developers.
Additional System Details
- Adobe® Acrobat® Plug-in for Web Browsers, Version 10.1.13
- A plugin to detect whether the Adobe Extension Manager is installed on this machine.
- Plugin that detects installed Citrix Online products (visit www.citrixonline.com).
- Provides information about the default web browser
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 17.0 r0
- WebEx64 General Plugin Container Version 205
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.10; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/36.0
Details like websites remembering you (log you in automatically) are stored in a cookie.
- Create a cookie 'allow' exception to keep such cookies, especially in case of secure websites and when cookies expire when Firefox is closed.
- Firefox > Preferences > Privacy > "Use custom settings for history" > Cookies: Exceptions
If clearing cookies didn't help then it is possible that the cookies.sqlite file that stores the cookies got corrupted.
- Rename (or delete) cookies.sqlite (cookies.sqlite.old) and delete other present cookies files like cookies.sqlite-journal in the Firefox profile folder in case the file cookies.sqlite got corrupted.
You can use this button to go to the currently used Firefox profile folder:
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Show Folder (Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder)
Can't be a corrupted cookies.sqlite file since I completely removed all components including my profile and then did a fresh install of V37.0.4. And as to needing a custom cookie - my understanding is that this info is being stored in the Firefox collection of passwords and not cached by the site I'm visiting. So I don't understand this need for exceptional cookies. And if there is some cookie magic involved - why did it all work fine with V36.0.4?
update to 37.0.4
Are you using a Beta version?
You could still give it a try and delete all cookies.sqlite file (shm and wal as well).
Make sure that you do not run Firefox in permanent Private Browsing mode (Never remember history).
- Tools > Options > Privacy > Firefox will: "Use custom settings for history"
- Deselect: [ ] "Always use Private Browsing mode"
Modified by cor-el