What's New in Firefox OS?
Here's an overview of all the great new features included in the Firefox OS 1.11.2 upgrade.
- Not sure what version of Firefox OS you have? Here's how to find out.
- Learn how to check for updates and install them.
Table of Contents
- 1 Better email - notifications plus audio & video attachments
- 2 New calling features - redial and conference calls
- 3 Export and share your contacts - share over bluetooth plus export to SIM or memory card
- 4 Improved Messages app now has MMS features
- 5 Download files from the browser
- 6 Adaptive Search now on the home screen
- 7 Search your music
- 8 Import contacts from more places
- 9 Share files over Bluetooth
Better email - notifications plus audio & video attachments
- Turn on email notifications: Open the email app settings, tap the account you want to turn on notifications for and enable Display notifications for new messages.
- Now you can add audio or video attachments to your emails.
For more, see Send and manage email.
New calling features - redial and conference calls
- To redial the last number called, tap the green call button to load the number and then tap it a second time to place the call.
- Add up to 5 participants to a call. Once you've called one person, tap the
To learn more, see Make calls and access voicemail on Firefox OS
Export and share your contacts - share over bluetooth plus export to SIM or memory card
- From the contacts app, tap the settings gear in the upper-right corner and then choose
For details, see Import, add and manage contacts on Firefox OS.
Improved Messages app now has MMS features
- Add pictures, audio and video to your messages - just tap the paperclip button to the left of the message field.
- Chat with a whole group - use the contacts button to add multiple people to a message.
- Type a URL in a message and it automatically becomes a working link that will open in the browser.
To learn more, see How to use the Messages app
Download files from the browser
- Long-tap on a music, image or video file to download it to the Music, Gallery or Video app. For the details, see How do I download music, photos and videos from the browser?.
Adaptive Search now on the home screen
On some devices with Firefox OS v1.1, Adaptive Search has moved to the home screen. Just unlock your phone and it's right there - no need to swipe to the right. Learn how it works.
Search your music
- Pull down on any screen in the Music app to reveal the new search bar. For more, see Play music on Firefox OS.
Import contacts from more places
- Now you can import contacts from Gmail, Outlook and Hotmail.
- Easily add new contacts from phone calls, messages or email.
To learn how, see Import, add and manage contacts on Firefox OS.
Share files over Bluetooth
- Bluetooth transfer is now available in the share menu of the Gallery and Video apps.
To learn how to pair a device and share files, see Enable Bluetooth on Firefox OS to send and receive files.
Share this article: http://mzl.la/1eVYAiU