Questa discussione è archiviata. Inserire una nuova richiesta se occorre aiuto.
Problem downloading audiobook files (.aax) from Audible.com
Using Firefox browser for iMac. Recently (10/10/2021) attempted to download .aax files from Audible.com. Files were unexpectedly converted to .mp4 files, making files unusable by iBooks. Conferred with Audible Tech support. Audible Tech confirmed that .aax files are the proper format and that they did not/do not make any format conversions on their end. Audible Tech then suggested trying download with Safari. Download (of .aax files with Safari) was successful and maintained proper (.aax) format. Audible Tech said that he had not encountered this issue before and that it seemed to him that the Firefox browser may be responsible for the unexpected conversion. In the past I have used Firefox many times to successfully download .aax files from Audible.com, most recent prior to this problem was on (9/11/2021). I am notifying you simply to advise that you may have a programing glitch within the download programing portion of the latest version of Firefox (ver. 93.0 - 64 bit) for iMac(s).
Tutte le risposte (5)
Do the files work if you change the file extension to .aax if Firefox saves them as .mp4 ?
Try to set browser.download.sanitize_non_media_extensions = false on the about:config page to see if that makes Firefox show the correct file extension when you save the file.
You can open the about:config page via the location/address bar. You can click the button to "Accept the Risk and Continue".
Hi there, I set browser.download.sanitize_non_media_extensions to false, but it didn't resolve the issue. Even if I changed the name.aax, Books wouldn't let me open it. I think SkyTraveln is right, there is a glitch in the latest version. I started having the issue at abut the same time. Thanks! --Scott
If you compare that .mp4 file with and actual .aax file if a (hex) file viewing utility, do both files look the similar if you compare the first few hundred bytes ?
Hello [cor-el] and [seschreiber]. Thank you for your responses and efforts to solve this issue. Unfortunately my programing skills are very dated (by years, possibly decades) and I am reluctant to go in and monkey with the programing of newer, more current computer programs. Even though I think my skills are still pretty good (maybe) I also know how easy it is to inadvertently screw up the whole works, so for now I will leave it to those more expert than I. As [seschreiber] indicated, I too, changed the .mp4 extension to .aax while on the phone with Audible Tech Support. At that time, this change did not work with iBooks and I informed Audible Tech of same. For the immediate future, my solution is to use Safari for downloads from Audible.com. In addition I have taken to checking and confirming the file extension when Firefox presents the "Begin Download?" flag warning prior to initiating downloads from other sites. I don't do a lot of this and so far I have not encountered any further problems (but none have involved .aax files either). I'm guessing that this problem will be fixed with the next update to Firefox. (i.e.: ver. 94?). Again thanks for your assistance with this.
This is unfortunately a Firefox only problem. Your suggestions for changes in about:config do not work.
Not only does Firefox (and only Firefox - I ended up using Google, Edge or Safari) download Audible files as MP4's as opposed to .aax -- The MP4's don't open on any media player I have.
I've been forced to go to other browsers to download from my Audible library. Please fix this. I don't like going to other browsers. I have Firefox for good reason.
BTW - just changing the extension to .aax on the downloaded MP4 files doesn't work correctly either. At least not with my Audible listening devices.
Thanks for your attention to this. -- It matters to those of us who love listening to books.
Modificato da ddelavie il