Transfer Firefox settings, logins, and bookmarks from a semi broken PC.
Can you tell me how to copy and transfer firefox settings, logins, and bookmarks from a P.C. that will not run via the O.S. ( Windows 7 ) I am wanting to copy from, but the hard drive is intact and accessible via an older O.S. ( Windows Vista ). I would like to transfer the FF stuff via copy to flash drive to temporarily transfer to a Windows 8.1 OS. The Win7 and Win Vista are installed on two seperate hard drives, and Vista still works and accesses the Win 7 Hard drive. Not sure about some kind of security or access allowed messages I get though.
All Replies (1)
You can copy certain files with Firefox closed to the current profile folder to transfer or recover personal data. Note that best is to avoid copying a full profile folder.
You can use the button on the "Help -> More Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page (Root directory).
- Help -> More Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder/Directory:
Windows: Open Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder
- bookmarks and history: places.sqlite
- favicons: favicons.sqlite
- bookmark backups: compressed .jsonlz4 JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- cookies.sqlite for the Cookies
- formhistory.sqlite for saved autocomplete Form Data
- logins.json (encrypted logins;32+) and key4.db (decryption key;58+) for Passwords saved in the Password Manager
key3.db support ended in 73+; to use key3.db in 58-72, make sure to remove key4.db
- cert9.db (58+) for (intermediate) certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
- persdict.dat for words added to the spell checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other website specific data (Site Preferences)
- sessionstore.jsonlz4 for open tabs and pinned tabs (see also the sessionstore-backups folder)