This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
I shutdown with the start key. When I start back up Firefox reloads all the old tabs and logs them all back on.
I still use XP. I'm running Firefox 45.0b6. This has been happening for the last 2 or 3 beta installs.
All Replies (2)
Make sure to close Firefox properly to make sure that Session Restore doesn't restore the tabs from the previous session.
Use one of these to close Firefox if you are currently doing that by clicking the close X on the Firefox title bar.
- 3-bar Menu button > Exit (Power button)
- Windows: File > Exit
- Mac: Firefox > Quit Firefox
- Linux: File > Quit
You can check for problems with the sessionstore.js file in the profile folder that stores session data. When sessionstore.js is deleted you lose pinned tabs and Tab Groups and open tabs and you will have to recreate them, so if necessary make a note or bookmark them.
You can use this button to go to the current Firefox profile folder:
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory:
Windows: Show Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder
In case it wasn't clear from the first reply: if Windows kills Firefox before Firefox has time to fully shut down and clean up its various working files, then the next time you start it, Firefox will perform a crash recovery which automatically restores your last known set of windows and tabs.
While there is a setting to never do crash recovery, to avoid file corruption, it is preferable to take an extra 20-30 seconds to let Firefox shut down before using the Windows Start button.
One possible compromise is the following settings change:
(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful.
(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste sess and pause while the list is filtered
(3) Double-click the browser.sessionstore.max_resumed_crashes preference and change its value from 1 to 0 (zero) and click OK
With this change: At startup, if Firefox detects that it crashed, it should now give you a choice of restoring the previous session tabs or starting a new session.
Please be careful not to change other session restore settings so that you can preserve this option for when you really need it.