This crashing spree started as a seemingly random thing, now it seems to have evolved into a crash every time I try to write something down in a search bar. Could be 2 different reasons causing this, here's my last crash report, I appreciate every help.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 14.0 r0
- Google Update
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.55.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.1.3
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.9
- The plugin allows you to have a better experience with Microsoft Lync
- The plugin allows you to have a better experience with Microsoft SharePoint
- Pando Web Plugin
- Winamp Application Detector
- Plug-in for detecting Nero Kwik Media.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
That crash report is related to the Flash plug-in.
Two things you can do: 1) Disable Hardware Acceleration in Flash
- Go to this Adobe Flash Player Help page.
- Right-click on the Flash Player logo on that page.
- Click on Settings in the context menu. The Adobe Flash Player Settings screen will open.
- Click on the icon at the bottom-left of the Adobe Flash Player Settings window to open the Display panel.
- Remove the check mark from Enable hardware acceleration.
- Click Close to close the Adobe Flash Player Settings Window.
- Restart Firefox.
This Flash Player Help - Display Settings page has more information on Flash Player hardware acceleration, if you're interested.
2) Try to disable Protected Mode in Flash 11.3 and above by adding the line ProtectedMode=0 to the Flash "mms.cfg" file located in one of these locations:
(Windows 32bit) C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash (Windows 64bit) C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
For example, on a Windows 7 64-bit system, open the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash folder, copy the file "mms.cfg" to the desktop, open it in Notepad, add a new line
ProtectedMode=0 and then close Notepad, saving your changes. Next, go back to the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash folder, rename the original file to "mms.cfgBAK" (to save it as a backup) and then drag and drop in the modified "mms.cfg" file from the desktop.
Note: To re-enable Flash Protected Mode, either restore a backup of the original mms.cfg file, if you saved one, or else re-edit the mms.cfg file to remove the
ProtectedMode=0 l line you added. Updating Flash Player or installing a newer version does not automatically re-enable Protected Mode
Thank you for taking the time to answer. Unfortunately, none of the 2 suggested solutions changed much.
So this is all I get in a Mozilla Support forum? A copy-paste answer that generally revolves around flash plugin crashing?
I recently discovered that the hang + crash occurs even more often when what I try to type in the search bar is of different characters than english (greek in my case).
Try to set the Flash plug to click-to-play by setting the permissions for Flash to "Ask To Activate" in "Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Plugins". That way you can activate the Flash plugin when you need it via the Lego block icon on the location bar.
It was already set on Ask to activate.
Tried reinstalling Mozilla and Flash player, didn't work.
Problem persists and crashes 100% when I type greek characters in text sheets like google search bar or youtube comment sheet. Why would that happen?
Do you have more recent crash report IDs?
You can find the Report ID of recent crash reports on the "Help > Troubleshooting Information" page (about:support).
- Click the "All Crash Reports" button on this page to open the about:crashes page and see all crash reports.
If necessary then you can open about: pages via the location/address bar.