How to restore / migrate profile from Linux to Mac?
Hi, the official Firefox docs recommend copying and restoring the entire profile directory. That doesn't work when restoring a profile created on Linux, on Mac, it seems. Neither for Thunderbird, by the way.
Is there a proper way to do this, or should I experiment with each of the files (databases, configurations, etc.) one by one? Thanks!
Opaite Mbohovái (2)
See these articles. The latter contains a section telling you how to find your profile without opening Firefox.
I usually suggest not to restore a full profile, especially if this is about different platforms, but restore only important data files (json/jsonlz4 and SQLite) and avoid restoring a file like prefs.js and extensions that might work differently on another platform or use absolute links.
Note that best is to avoid restoring a full profile folder and only restore important files that are safe to restore/transfer.
- bookmarks and history: places.sqlite
- favicons: favicons.sqlite
- bookmark backups: compressed .jsonlz4 JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- cookies.sqlite for the Cookies
- formhistory.sqlite for saved autocomplete Form Data
- logins.json (encrypted logins) and key4.db (encryption key/primary password) for logins saved in the Password Manager
- cert9.db for certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
- persdict.dat for words added to the spell checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other website specific data (Site Preferences)
- sessionstore.jsonlz4 for open tabs and pinned tabs (see also the sessionstore-backups folder)