Create bookmarks to save your favorite webpages
Bookmarks are links to websites that make it easy to get back to your favorite places. This article goes over the basics of making and managing your bookmarks.
Table of Contents
How do I bookmark a page?
It's easy — just click the star!
To create a bookmark, click the star icon in the address bar. The star will turn yellowblue and a bookmark for the page you're on will be created in the Unsorted Bookmarks folder. That's it!
To create a bookmark, click the star in the toolbar. The star will turn blue and a bookmark for the page you're on will be created in the Unsorted Bookmarks folder. That's it!
How do I change the name and location of a bookmark?
- To edit the details of your bookmark, click the star a second time to open the Edit This Bookmark window.
- In the Edit This Bookmark box you can change any of these details:
- Name: This is the name that Firefox displays for the bookmark in menus.
- Folder: Choose what folder to store your bookmark in by picking one from the drop-down menu (for example, the Bookmarks Menu or Bookmarks Toolbar). In that drop-down menu you can also select to display a list of all bookmarks folders.
- Tags: You can use tags to help you search through and organize your bookmarks. For more information, see Bookmark Tags - Categorize bookmarks to make them easy to find.
- When you are finished editing, click to close the box.
Where can I find my bookmarks?
The easiest way to find a site that you've bookmarked is to start typing its name in the address bar. As you type a list of websites that you've bookmarked, tagged and visited will appear. Bookmarked sites will have a yellowblue star next to them. All you have to do is click one of the sites and you'll be taken there instantly. To learn more, see Awesome Bar - Find your bookmarks, history and tabs when you type in the address bar.
How do I organize my bookmarks?
The Library window lets you view and organize all your bookmarks.
Click the Bookmarks button on the right side of the navigation toolbarOn the menu bar, click At the top of the Firefox window, click the and select menu to open the Library window.
Click the Bookmarks button and selectto open the Library window.
- By default, the bookmarks you make will be located in the Unsorted Bookmarks folder. Select it in the sidebar of the Library window to see the bookmarks you've made. Double-clicking a bookmark will open it.
While you have the Library window open, you can also drag bookmarks into other folders like the Bookmarks Menu folder which will show your bookmarks in the menu under the Bookmarks button. If you add bookmarks to the Bookmarks Toolbar folder they'll show up on the Bookmarks Toolbar.
See the following articles for more details on how to manage your giant list of bookmarks:
- Sort your bookmarks to quickly find the ones you want
- Use bookmark folders to organize your bookmarks
- How do I delete a bookmark?
How do I turn on the Bookmarks Toolbar?
If you want to use the Bookmarks Toolbar, you can turn it on like this:
- At the top of the Firefox windowOn the menu bar, click on the button, go over to the arrow (on Windows XP, click on the menu, go down to ) and check . menu, go down to and check
- Click the menu button and choose .
- Click the dropdown menu at the bottom of the screen and select .
- Click the green button.
- Click the menu at the top of the screen, go down to and select .
Tips and tricks
Ready for more fun with bookmarks? Here are more articles to help you get the most out of them.
- Share bookmarks, tabs and more with another computer or mobile device: see How do I set up Firefox Sync?
- Switching between different browsers? These article will help you take your bookmarks with you:
Share this article: http://mzl.la/1xKrM7c