I am planning a move towards the Firefox ESR 78.6.x. Currently my customer is using the Firefox Rapid Release 84.x and need your help with the profile migration… (tuilleadh eolais)
I am planning a move towards the Firefox ESR 78.6.x. Currently my customer is using the Firefox Rapid Release 84.x and need your help with the profile migration.
The customer has a very isolated on-premises environment and does not allow the users to login into a Firefox-Account. Therefore the settings for Cookies, Cache, History and especially Bookmarks are not synched.
- Enterprise environment with several tausends of clients
- All clients on Windows 10 Enterprise between 1809 and 20H2
- All clients have always the newest Firefox installed currently 84.x
This creates a huge challenge to sync this stuff. Therefore I have now identified the following two options:
- 1 Allow the downgrade by using the environment variable MOZ_ALLOW_DOWNGRADE on Windows. For this option I am trying to find the real reason why this "Downgrade-Stop" has been implemented in the first place? What risks in detail do I take to allow this downgrade? Has anybody done this before and do you mind to share your experience here? How many issues did you face and how did you remediate the issues?
- 2 Hand over the migration to the users. Copy their current profile to their desktop and ask them to import their bookmarks manually. Not preferred by users and I can't even blame them for.
Is there any other way to automatically sync the profiles from 84.x to ESR 78.6.x without user interaction?
Thanks in advance