I apologise if this is the wrong place to post this, but I thought to share my findings as I have seen other unresolved issues on the support forums matching my issue. I … (tuilleadh eolais)
I apologise if this is the wrong place to post this, but I thought to share my findings as I have seen other unresolved issues on the support forums matching my issue. I am not really interested in helping to solve the problem, as I have a workaround, but thought that someone in the Mozilla community might appreciate my findings.
Around a week ago, I began seeing regular system freezes. I was unable to pin down the exact cause of the freezes but there were some anomalies:
@Running Windows 7 Professional
@No blue screen
@Was unable to retrieve any trace or core dump
@System ran fine in safe mode, but NOT when running a "clean" boot
I would be running for around 10-30 seconds after login before having a complete lockup and having to cut the power to the PC.
I pinned the crashes on one of two possibilities:
1. Hardware failure
2. Driver conflicts / issues
Instead of turning off services one by one to narrow down the problem, I opted for a complete re-install. I wiped the hard disc and re-installed windows from CD. After completing the initial setup, I left the desktop open for an hour, waiting for any freezes. After an hour of running, I began to start applications, ran solitaire, IE, etc. Another hour passed of me browsing the web with no crash. I installed all system updates and again waited an hour with no crash.
I had thought my problems solved, so I began a few downloads for applications: Deluge, Steam and Firefox. Firefox was the first installer to complete, so I installed and launched, within 10 seconds my system froze again.
After looking for other issues, I've seen there could be a conflict between firefox and my AMD display drivers. I have seen a few of these issues (still unresolved) in the mozilla support pages.
Despite me preferring firefox, I'm not too keen on spending any more of my time to help resolve this issue and am now using (urgh) Chrome. I'll keep an eye on firefox patch notes for any references to the issue and will try again in a few months.
As of writing this, I am back up to a rough description of my system before and have been running chrome with no crashes for 24 hours.
Again, apologies for my hasty description, likely posted in the wrong place, but I hope that someone finds this useful.