I upgraded from Windows 7 (where FF worked fine) to Windows 8.1 a few months ago. After the upgrade FF stopped functioning well enough for me to use. I switched over to C… (tuilleadh eolais)
I upgraded from Windows 7 (where FF worked fine) to Windows 8.1 a few months ago. After the upgrade FF stopped functioning well enough for me to use. I switched over to Chrome/Opera but I'm tired of those and want to come back to FF but am finding it very hard. The issues are
- I can't copy/cut anything via either Ctrl+C or the context menu. The context menu rarely will show Copy/Cut/Paste and if they are shown they do nothing. One time I pressed crtl+C a lot ina row and Copy worked for that session but when I restarted the browser it stopped working again.
These may or may not be related the copy/cut issue but certainly are not working as well.
- Sometimes the context menu will show every possible menu item ever available in the OS. I'll right click and I need to scroll and scroll to find copy/paste. They still don't work when I find them.
- I can't highlight text and have the context menu show the "search google" button. Nor can I take that highlighted text and drag it to the URL bar/search bar.
- If a video is playing (youtube/comedy central...) and I drag that tab out to make a new window this creates a blank "New Tab" in the original window and make it look like the video tab is moved to a new window but the video won't play any more. Nor can I stop it. and I can't close that tab by right clicking. But I can Ctrl+W it but that doesn't stop the audio. The audio will continue until I close FF entirely.
- Middle click used to not work but now usually works. i.e I used to not be able to close tabs or open links in new windows with middle click. But FF 28 seemed to fix that. Again mayeb/maybe not related.
I'm currently running FF 29 but these issues were all present for the past ~4 versions at least (whatever was out last fall). I use FF sync and everything works fine on all my synced devices which run W7. This is the only computer i have W8.1 on so I can't test another 8.1 setup. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few times but I don't think I've removed all my personal setting from the computer. I have some extensions (Adblock plus 2.5.1, All-in-one genstures 0.26, Rainbow 1.6, Smartest Bookmarks bar 1.11, Stumbleupon and TiddlyWiki 1.0alpha18). These are all also synced on my other computers.