Firefox 28 got hacked by an advertising site and can't get rid of it, need Help to get it gone
I went to a link I got from a bud to download some family pic in his cloud, well once their this pop up came telling me update firefox see below: I Did NOT update and now all hell has broken loose, every time I click on anyplace it opens 5-8 pop up to a game site and now I've got ads all over my browser page. I even uninstalled the old version and installed a clean one. Exact, same results
Your software may be out of date
Software Updater analyzes your computer for out of date software and recommends the latest updates to download.
Avoid Vulnerabilities Reduce crashes and ensure optimal browsing experience Automatically Updates
Manufacturer: Mozilla Org.
Last checked: 5/4/2014
SOFTWARE END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
Air Software (“Air Software”) strives to provide exceptional software products that help to make the experience with your personal computer more enjoyable. Software Updater is a software product created by Air Software that, once downloaded and installed by you, will scan for third party software products that have been installed on your computer system. Once the scan is complete, Software Updater will notify you of any updates or upgrades available for the third party software products installed on your computer. By installing and using Software Updater (the “Software”), you hereby agreed to the following
STARTING PAGE CRAP:
Tuilleadh mionsonraí faoin chóras
- Shockwave Flash 12.0 r0
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Provides information about the default web browser
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- NortonInternetSecurityBF 2.6.1 with BrowserFramework 1.7.0, © 2013 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved.
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 12.0.3
- Progressive Downloader Integration Plug-in
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Plugin that detects installed Citrix Online products (visit www.citrixonline.com).
- Coupons Inc., Coupon Printing FireFox Plugin
- AmazonMP3DownloaderPlugin 1.0.15
- Office Live Update v1.0
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0
hello walkswitheagles, you might have malicious addons present. please try to reset firefox (this will keep your bookmarks and passwords).
Philipp, Thanks bud, however it didn't work now the number of pop-up's just increased and here's the latest various site CRAP, after doing the reset;
You are currently browsing the web with Firefox and it is recommended that you update your video player to the fastest version available. Please update to continue.
You are currently browsing the web with Firefox and your Video Player might be outdated
If you would like to contact us via e-mail, please send a message to here Download and Install Now
also, could you go to firefox > help > troubleshooting information, copy the contents of that page and paste them here into a reply on the forum? this might give us a clue what is going on...
This all happening on my iMac, with most current Mavrick's OS
the last part about obtaining the troubleshooting information would also apply to firefox on mac os x. thank you!