IS there a way to start a session in NOT private browsing on a Mac after you set it to always start in private browsing besides going to the preferences?
I set it to always start in private browsing on a Mac. For some sessions, I would like to start the browser where the history IS kept on the computer. When I try to go and turn off private browsing in the "Tools" menu, the "Stop Private Browsing" menu is grayed out (i.e. unable to click it).
Basically, I want a reverse to the original function (i.e. I want it to always be in private browsing EXCEPT for certain times instead of the original never in private browsing EXCEPT for certain times).
Tuilleadh mionsonraí faoin chóras
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Version 184.108.40.20612
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.23
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Garmin Communicator Plug-in Version 220.127.116.11
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0
I set it so that Firefox will "Use Custom Settings for history" and set it to "Always Use Private Browsing Mode". There does not seem to be a way to stop a particular session from running in private browsing mode besides going to the "Preferences". After I change it to always start in private browsing, it changes the setting to "Never remember history", which isn't what I want
If you've set that via the Firefox > Preferences > Privacy > Firefox will: "Use custom settings for history" window then you can't use the Stop Private Browsing menu entry.
You can try if it works if you remove the check mark Firefox > Preferences > Privacy > "Always use private browsing mode".
It does for me on Linux.
You can verify it with this code in the Web Developer > Error Console (Ctrl+Shift+J).
var pbs = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/privatebrowsing;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrivateBrowsingService); alert('Private Browsing is '+((pbs.privateBrowsingEnabled)?'on':'off'));