ff-3.6.8 crashes accessing Applications in Preferences
Any attempt to click on Applications in the Preferences causes an immediate crash. None of the other selections within Preferences does this. Running from terminal shows no output.
I have tired submitting a crash report but cannot find the cert I need. I had found a link showing the crash reports and linux had very few (almost none). Perhaps if you all would provide a link how to properly get and install the cert on Linux this report would not have been needed.
Every time Firefox opened
== using qt-4.7.0 and kde-4.4.95 (KDE SC 4.5)
Tuilleadh mionsonraí faoin chóras
- -Gecko Media Player 0.9.9.2Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r45
- The next generation Java plug-in for Mozilla browsers.
- Mime Type x-skype for Skype Buttons
- The default plugin handles plugin data for mimetypes and extensions that are not specified and facilitates downloading of new plugins.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20100727 Firefox/3.6.8
This report also contains technical information about the state of the application when it crashed.
There was another item causing a crash I forgot to mention. Clicking on Add-ons > Extensions. Anyway onto my findings.
Removing mimeTypes.rdf did not help.
However, after starting firefox in safe mode and disabling all the plugins stopped the crashing for Extensions AND Applications.
So I re-enabled the default plug-in an that is OK, no crashes. But enabling any of the gecko-media player plug-ins or flash will cause the clicking on Extensions and Applications to crash firefox. I have recompiled firefox, gecko-mediaplayer and their dependencies and even a few I did not think would have a bearing with no change in behavior.
I should note prior to this I was running ff-3.6.7 under the same environment and had these crashes.
Try to delete pluginsreg.dat in the Firefox Profile Folder as well.
Úinéir na ceiste
Deleting pluginsreg.dat does not solve the issue. Just to cut to the chase I deleted the dot directory for firefox to start clean and the issue is present even then.