[suggestion] Allow autofocus on searchbar
Hey, could you please add an entry in "about:config" or point me out a trick to auto-focus the searchbar when opening a new window/tab ?
This would really help me. Thanks. (here in french me discussing in : https://forums.mozfr.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=141452&p=886503#p886503 )
Athraithe ag cor-el ar
Tuilleadh mionsonraí faoin chóras
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
Hi otyugh, although I think the Search Bar will still be around for a while, I don't think it is getting any new features.
Here are some thoughts on possible improvements to your workflow:
You may know there are multiple keyboard shortcuts to focus the search bar:
- Linux: Ctrl+k, Ctrl+j
- Windows: Ctrl+k, Ctrl+e
- Mac: Command+k, Command+Option+f
Maybe that will be more convenient than your current method of moving focus into the bar?
Open Results in New Tab
You could consider configuring the bar to open results in a new tab automatically, so you do not need to open a new tab first before searching. That would be:
(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful or accepting the risk.
(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste openin and pause while the list is filtered
(3) Double-click the browser.search.openintab preference to switch the value from false to true
Finally, feature change requests tend to get lost here. You could submit those comments and suggestions through one or more of the following links, or recently I saw someone created a Change.org petition (no idea whether that helps):
- Feedback: https://qsurvey.mozilla.com/s3/FirefoxInput/
- Discourse: https://discourse.mozilla.org/c/firefox-development
- Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/firefox
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Firefox