Can only access firefox by creating new profile from wizard.
After downloading the latest FF version, I attempt to install, but system dialog tells me that I need to close existing FF process before installing. I've been using Google Chrome. I did use FF about six months ago, but not since.
Ran across a help guide describing process of creating a new profile http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3025219. I can now ONLY access the FF browser by searching for and running from system bar "firefox.exe -p".
Running Windows 7 64-bit at present.
New system icon for program in menu doesn't permit me to run normally, nor does running as administrator. Would appreciate some help. FYI is a work computer, so I don't want to do anything extreme, as it might cause me to lose data.
Tuilleadh mionsonraí faoin chóras
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0
Did you remove the previous Firefox program? How?
When you open Firefox via the Profile Manager, did you make the proper profile the default?
Do a clean reinstall of the current Firefox release and delete the Firefox program folder before installing a fresh copy of the current Firefox release.
- download the Firefox installer and save the file to the desktop
If possible uninstall your current Firefox version to cleanup the Windows Registry and settings in security software.
- do NOT remove "personal data" when you uninstall the current Firefox version, because this will remove all profile folders and you lose personal data like bookmarks and passwords including data in profiles created by other Firefox versions
Remove the Firefox program folder before installing that newly downloaded copy of the Firefox installer.
- (64-bit Firefox) "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\"
- (32-bit Firefox) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\"
- it is important to delete the Firefox program folder to remove all the files and make sure there are no problems with files that were leftover after uninstalling
Your personal data like bookmarks is stored in the Firefox profile folder, so you won't lose personal data when you reinstall or update Firefox, but make sure NOT to remove personal data when you uninstall Firefox as that will remove all Firefox profile folders and you lose your personal data.
If you keep having problems then you can create a new profile to test if your current profile is causing the problem.
Úinéir na ceiste
I found the previous default profiles by searching as described above. By following the 'new profile wizard', I was able to set up a new profile, 'Mark as default', and continue with window open. That's how it now stands, and I cannot close the browser window, or I will have to go through the process again. Windows seems to think that I have an existing Firefox process that is running, and I must shut down before installing program. However, I don't think the Firefox program would have been running for six months, even with system shut-downs/re-starts/ and periodic power outages. Perhaps if we can address source of that problem, it may fix this related issue.
This could be a problem with profiles.ini.