Knowledge Base discussions

Writing titles for SEO

1. For the record, project names ("Firefox Help - Mozilla Support", "Firefox OS Help - Mozilla Support", "Thunderbird Help - Mozilla Support") are automatically added to titles, so there's no need to write them in. We should also factor them into our character limit.

Example: http://imgur.com/b0V3MHX

I've been guilty of adding the product names myself (an old habit from my previous life in SEO). However, most search engines do recognize SUMO as an official site, so we already rank higher for branded terms like product names.

I've updated this article with this guideline: Writing guide for Knowledge Base articles

For the record, project names ("Firefox Help - Mozilla Support", "Firefox OS Help - Mozilla Support", "Thunderbird Help - Mozilla Support") are automatically added to titles, so there's no need to write them in. We should also factor them into our character limit. Example: http://imgur.com/b0V3MHX I've been guilty of adding the product names myself (an old habit from my previous life in SEO). However, most search engines do recognize SUMO as an official site, so we already rank higher for branded terms like product names. I've updated this article with this guideline: [[How to write Knowledge Base articles]]
  2. So does this advice reverse the attempts now underway to

You added (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-to-write-knowledge-base-articles/compare?locale=en-US&to=91437&from=84441)

Avoid adding product names like "Firefox", "Firefox OS" and "Thunderbird". They are automatically added to the title, so consider them in your character limit.

And how then do we cope with disambiguation on the forum replies link icon ? (Append kludgy abbreviation TB ?! )

So does this advice reverse the attempts now underway to * '''''Rename Thunderbird articles''''' [/forums/knowledge-base-articles/711125] You added (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-to-write-knowledge-base-articles/compare?locale=en-US&to=91437&from=84441) Avoid adding product names like "Firefox", "Firefox OS" and "Thunderbird". They are automatically added to the title, so consider them in your character limit. And how then do we cope with disambiguation on the forum replies link icon ? (Append kludgy abbreviation TB ?! )
  3. I suppose the support forum post problem would go away if the forum only showed the appropriate links filtered for the product of the current forum.

That may cause a problem for those using /questions/all that would need to take the cue from the question thread rather than the forum, but would be an edge case. Anyone using all would be aware of the correct articles and any limitations in restricting or expanding the links listing.

I suppose the support forum post problem would go away if the forum only showed the appropriate links filtered for the product of the current forum. That may cause a problem for those using [/questions/all] that would need to take the cue from the question thread rather than the forum, but would be an edge case. Anyone using ''all'' would be aware of the correct articles and any limitations in restricting or expanding the links listing.
  4. Joni just renamed a bunch of Firefox OS articles yesterday Mar 9, 2015 and didn't remove "Firefox OS" from the title: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/revisions?locale=en-US&users=jsavage

For example: What is my Firefox OS version? (Redirected from "What version of Firefox OS do I have?)

Troubleshooting Firefox OS (Redirected from Fix common problems on Firefox OS)

More examples: View all Hotmail or Outlook emails on Firefox OS (Redirected from How do I view all of my Hotmail or Outlook emails on Firefox OS?)

Update Firefox OS to a new version (Redirected from How do I check for Firefox OS updates and install them?)

Install apps on Firefox OS (Redirected from How to download and install apps on Firefox OS)

Airplane Mode on Firefox OS (Redirected from How To Use Airplane Mode on Firefox OS)

I think this might be related to Bug 1141202 - Optimize KB article titles for mobile display Quote (comment 3):

Joni Savage 2015-03-10 10:33:09 PDT

I've shortened the article titles. We can do more optimization if needed.

Personally, I think it's fine to keep the product in the article title as long as the title isn't too long. The "Pick a good title" section of Writing guide for Knowledge Base articles still says:

* Title length: Google's search results page will display up to 70 characters. Your title can be longer than this if necessary but make sure your important keywords are included in the first 70 characters. 

That being said, I think that Joni or another admin should review and update new Thunderbird article titles.

Joni just renamed a bunch of Firefox OS articles <s>yesterday</s> <sub>Mar 9, 2015</sub> and didn't remove "Firefox OS" from the title: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/revisions?locale=en-US&users=jsavage For example: What is my Firefox OS version? (Redirected from "What version of Firefox OS do I have?) Troubleshooting Firefox OS (Redirected from Fix common problems on Firefox OS) More examples: View all Hotmail or Outlook emails on Firefox OS (Redirected from How do I view all of my Hotmail or Outlook emails on Firefox OS?) Update Firefox OS to a new version (Redirected from How do I check for Firefox OS updates and install them?) Install apps on Firefox OS (Redirected from How to download and install apps on Firefox OS) Airplane Mode on Firefox OS (Redirected from How To Use Airplane Mode on Firefox OS) I think this might be related to [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1141202 Bug 1141202] - Optimize KB article titles for mobile display '''Quote''' (comment 3): ----- Joni Savage 2015-03-10 10:33:09 PDT I've shortened the article titles. We can do more optimization if needed. ----- Personally, I think it's fine to keep the product in the article title as long as the title isn't too long. The "Pick a good title" section of [[How to write Knowledge Base articles]] still says: * Title length: Google's search results page will display up to 70 characters. Your title can be longer than this if necessary but make sure your important keywords are included in the first 70 characters. That being said, I think that Joni or another admin should review and update new Thunderbird article titles.

Modified by AliceWyman on

5. AliceWyman said

Joni just renamed a bunch of Firefox OS articles /.../ Troubleshooting Firefox OS (Redirected from Fix common problems on Firefox OS)

There is a guideline Try to not use “-ing” words in the Writing guide for Knowledge Base articles article.

AliceWyman said

Personally, I think it's fine to keep the product in the article title as long as the title isn't too long.

I agree.

''AliceWyman [[#post-64515|said]]'' <blockquote> Joni just renamed a bunch of Firefox OS articles /.../ Troubleshooting Firefox OS (Redirected from Fix common problems on Firefox OS) </blockquote> There is a guideline '''Try to not use “-ing” words''' in the [[How to write Knowledge Base articles]] article. ''AliceWyman [[#post-64515|said]]'' <blockquote> Personally, I think it's fine to keep the product in the article title as long as the title isn't too long. </blockquote> I agree.
  6. Joni said

For the record, project names ("Firefox Help - Mozilla Support", "Firefox OS Help - Mozilla Support", "Thunderbird Help - Mozilla Support") are automatically added to titles, so there's no need to write them in. We should also factor them into our character limit. Example: http://imgur.com/b0V3MHX

That only applies to external search results, such as a Google or Yahoo search. Here's a screenshot of google search results showing SuMo KB article titles of different length:

SEO-KBarticle-titles

As you can see, the product portion of the title (e.g., "Thunderbird Help - Mozilla Support") is shown when the titles are very short, such as the "Using Multiple Profiles" Thunderbird article. For longer article titles, the product name gets dropped off.

SuMo internal search is entirely different and only includes the article title and the search summary. See these search results: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/search?q=Profiles Whether the results are for "All Products" or for a specific product depends on where you start the search from.

Even worse, when a contributor uses the forum "Insert a link" tool to find a KB article, only the title is shown, as in this screenshot:

SuMoInsert-a-link

You get the same list of articles in the Thunderbird forum as you get in the Firefox forum and it's easy to mistake a Thunderbird article (e.g., Using Multiple Profiles) for a Firefox article.

The title really should include the product name, if at all possible.

''Joni [[#post-64505|said]]'' <blockquote> For the record, project names ("Firefox Help - Mozilla Support", "Firefox OS Help - Mozilla Support", "Thunderbird Help - Mozilla Support") are automatically added to titles, so there's no need to write them in. We should also factor them into our character limit. Example: http://imgur.com/b0V3MHX </blockquote> That only applies to external search results, such as a Google or Yahoo search. Here's a screenshot of google search results showing SuMo KB article titles of different length: ;[[Image:SEO-KBarticle-titles]] As you can see, the product portion of the title (e.g., "Thunderbird Help - Mozilla Support") is shown when the titles are very short, such as the "Using Multiple Profiles" Thunderbird article. For longer article titles, the product name gets dropped off. SuMo internal search is entirely different and only includes the article title and the search summary. See these search results: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/search?q=Profiles <sub>Whether the results are for "All Products" or for a specific product depends on where you start the search from.</sub> Even worse, when a contributor uses the forum "Insert a link" tool to find a KB article, only the title is shown, as in this screenshot: ;[[Image:SuMoInsert-a-link]] You get the same list of articles in the Thunderbird forum as you get in the Firefox forum and it's easy to mistake a Thunderbird article (e.g., Using Multiple Profiles) for a Firefox article. The title really should include the product name, if at all possible.

Modified by AliceWyman on

7. I left "Firefox OS" in some of the titles because the titles make more sense with it: "What is my version?" vs. "What is my version of Firefox OS".

The others on the list should have been changed today as I didn't finish all the renaming last night.

I'm not familiar with the support forum world, so it's a good thing you brought it up the issue with ambiguity.

Let's just cancel this suggestion and use our best judgement when naming articles (whatever gets the concept across in a succinct, but search-friendly way.)

We have to keep this exception for Firefox OS, however, because we expect more exposure through BuddyUp. We don't have a lot of traffic to the Firefox OS KB on desktop or on search.

I left "Firefox OS" in some of the titles because the titles make more sense with it: "What is my version?" vs. "What is my version of Firefox OS". The others on the list should have been changed today as I didn't finish all the renaming last night. I'm not familiar with the support forum world, so it's a good thing you brought it up the issue with ambiguity. Let's just cancel this suggestion and use our best judgement when naming articles (whatever gets the concept across in a succinct, but search-friendly way.) We have to keep this exception for Firefox OS, however, because we expect more exposure through BuddyUp. We don't have a lot of traffic to the Firefox OS KB on desktop or on search.
  8. Joni said

Let's just cancel this suggestion and use our best judgement when naming articles (whatever gets the concept across in a succinct, but search-friendly way.)

Thanks.

''Joni [[#post-64534|said]]'' <blockquote> Let's just cancel this suggestion and use our best judgement when naming articles (whatever gets the concept across in a succinct, but search-friendly way.) </blockquote> Thanks.