SUMO community discussions

"Adding screenshots" article (was: Screenshot policy according to Firefox versions)

1. AliceWyman said

I have a problem with declaring the screenshots without the Sync panel icon showing in the Options window as fx5 fx35 specific and then hiding them from Firefox 4 and above, if you aren't going to add new screenshots. I think it's fine to show the screenshot if it is important to point out what needs to be clicked (the "Show Cookies" button in this case) if the only difference is that the Sync panel icon is missing from the Options window, if the rest of the Privacy panel information is the same.

Using similar logic, wouldn't you have to declare any screenshot that doesn't show the Tracking option in the Settings for privacy, browsing history and do-not-track (as shown here for Windows, fx5) as either Firefox 4 only using {for =fx4} (with Sync panel icon) or {for fx35} (no Sync panel)?

Finally, I agree with you for screenshots without the Sync panel which is minor and not misleading.

For the DNT feature in the Privacy panel, my opinion is mitigated, the screenshot adds some value, but might be misleading for some users. I think we must update articles where the Privacy panel is displayed.

AliceWyman [/en-US/kb/Deleting%20cookies/discuss/1417#post-2675 said] <blockquote> I have a problem with declaring the screenshots without the Sync panel icon showing in the Options window as <del>fx5</del> fx35 specific and then hiding them from Firefox 4 and above, if you aren't going to add new screenshots. I think it's fine to show the screenshot if it is important to point out what needs to be clicked (the "Show Cookies" button in this case) if the only difference is that the Sync panel icon is missing from the Options window, if the rest of the Privacy panel information is the same. <br><br> Using similar logic, wouldn't you have to declare any screenshot that doesn't show the Tracking option in the [[Options window - Privacy panel]] (as shown [https://support.mozilla.com/media/uploads/gallery/images/2011-06-01-15-29-17-74870b.png here] for Windows, fx5) as either Firefox 4 only using {for =fx4} (with Sync panel icon) or {for fx35} (no Sync panel)? </blockquote> Finally, I agree with you for screenshots without the Sync panel which is minor and not misleading. For the DNT feature in the Privacy panel, my opinion is mitigated, the screenshot adds some value, but might be misleading for some users. I think we must update articles where the Privacy panel is displayed.

Modified by AliceWyman on

2. I meant fx35, not fx5. I've edited my post in the other forum.

Michael Verdi or Chris:

What is the current policy about Add images and screenshots to Knowledge Base articles or removing them for different Firefox versions and operating systems?

I meant fx35, not fx5. I've edited my post in the other forum. Michael Verdi or Chris: What is the current policy about [[Adding screenshots]] or removing them for different Firefox versions and operating systems?

3. - bump -

- bump -
  4. Generally, I think showing this image to Firefox 4 users should not be a problem because the article has nothing to do with the tracking feature and showing this image would also be fine because the article has nothing to do with the Sync panel or it's relationship to the Privacy panel.

Will that always be the case? Probably not. I say, just use your best judgement. If it seems like the image will help and not be confusing then use it. This will become less of an issue as users start regularly moving to new versions even faster than fx 4 users are moving to fx5.

Generally, I think showing [https://support.mozilla.com/media/uploads/gallery/images/2011-06-23-05-33-39-49e242.png this image] to Firefox 4 users should not be a problem because the article has nothing to do with the tracking feature and showing [https://support.mozilla.com/media/uploads/gallery/images/ab963d736461b221f497eb33a7f09b1a-1260044801-604-4.png this image] would also be fine because the article has nothing to do with the Sync panel or it's relationship to the Privacy panel. Will that always be the case? Probably not. I say, just use your best judgement. If it seems like the image will help and not be confusing then use it. This will become less of an issue as users start regularly moving to new versions even faster than fx 4 users are moving to fx5.
  5. Thanks.

I edited Adding Screenshots to update "Adding screenshots to articles" and I added "Using screenshots for different Firefox versions". Could you review? Can the article be un-archived?

Thanks. I edited [[Adding Screenshots]] to update "Adding screenshots to articles" and I added "Using screenshots for different Firefox versions". Could you review? Can the article be un-archived?
  6. Any chance of making the article dual purpose.

The KGB relates to screenshots added to KB articles, but nowhere is there guidance for ordinary posters who wish to add screenshots. (iirc Michael Verdi is against adding any faq section to SUMO, thinking it should all be self explanatory)

Use of SUMO is far from being totally intuitive, so for example maybe add info re compressing screenshots before attaching them to SUMO threads.

( The article adding screenshots would then need moving out of the archive. )

Any chance of making the article dual purpose. The K<s>G</s>B relates to screenshots added to KB articles, but nowhere is there guidance for ordinary posters who wish to add screenshots. (iirc Michael Verdi is against adding any faq section to SUMO, thinking it should all be self explanatory) Use of SUMO is far from being totally intuitive, so for example maybe add info re compressing screenshots before attaching them to SUMO threads. ( The article [[adding screenshots]] would then need moving out of the archive. )

Modified by John99 on

7. John99, On making Add images and screenshots to Knowledge Base articles a dual-purpose article and having it available to regular Firefox Support forum posters:

This would change the focus of the article since right now it's a How to contribute article aimed at KB article editors (or it will be, if it's un-archived and linked from How the Knowledge Base Works). Besides, how would Firefox users find the article? Would it be linked it from Get community support or maybe added to the sidebar?

I've moved this thread from the KB articles forum to the contributors forum.

P.S. See also /forums/contributors/706935?last=40740#post-40571 (in the "Draft of knowledge base policies" discussion) about updating Add images and screenshots to Knowledge Base articles.

'''John99''', On making [[Adding screenshots]] a dual-purpose article and having it available to regular Firefox Support forum posters: This would change the focus of the article since right now it's a [/en-US/kb/category/30 How to contribute] article aimed at KB article editors (or it will be, if it's un-archived and linked from [[How the Knowledge Base Works#w_screenshots-screencasts]]). Besides, how would Firefox users find the article? Would it be linked it from [[Ask a question]] or maybe added to the sidebar? I've moved this thread from the KB articles forum to the contributors forum. P.S. See also [/forums/contributors/706935?last=40740#post-40571] (in the "Draft of knowledge base policies" discussion) about updating [[Adding screenshots]].

8. As reminded by Alice above, Add images and screenshots to Knowledge Base articles should also describes the expected screenshot templates (see this thread).

I disagree to make it usable by support forum answerers because the interesting part for support forum users is about screenshot tools. For this, there are plenty of articles, such as http://take-a-screenshot.org/, which answerers can link to.

Edit: separated the slash and the comma in the URL

As reminded by Alice above, [[Adding screenshots]] should also describes the expected screenshot templates (see [/en-US/kb/How%20to%20clear%20Search%20bar%20history/discuss/1559 this thread]). I disagree to make it usable by support forum answerers because the interesting part for support forum users is about screenshot tools. For this, there are plenty of articles, such as [http://take-a-screenshot.org/], which answerers can link to. ''Edit: separated the slash and the comma in the URL''

Modified by scoobidiver on

9. Scoobidiver,
    (You have a stray comma on that link.) Yes general advice is easily found, but what about something explaining the size limit, whatever it is, and therefore the need to compress or convert screenshots before attaching them. (I know it is sensible to say use jpeg files, but not sure it says anywhere that this should be done, or what any size limit is, any link to this info may be a useful reference)

Alice,
    Yes it could be linked from the support forum, possibly only displaying when a user tries to use the attach feature. Or it could simply be used as a resource when a contributor tries to answer questions. There are examples today where screenshots would come in handy see edmeisters post the lack of screenshots may well have been explained by users being unsure how to do this.

Scoobidiver, <br>(You have a stray comma on that link.) Yes general advice is easily found, but what about something explaining the size limit, whatever it is, and therefore the need to compress or convert screenshots before attaching them. (I know it is sensible to say use jpeg files, but not sure it says anywhere that this should be done, or what any size limit is, any link to this info may be a useful reference) Alice, <br> Yes it could be linked from the support forum, possibly only displaying when a user tries to use the attach feature. Or it could simply be used as a resource when a contributor tries to answer questions. There are examples today where screenshots would come in handy see ''[/questions/847829#answer-212794 edmeisters post]'' the lack of screenshots may well have been explained by users being unsure how to do this.
  10. The default image format for Snipping Tool or Paint is PNG, which is good for the image size. There's nothing to add. Moreover, a link in the support forum whatever its location won't be seen by users because they focus only on their problem.

An interesting thing could be to add a PNG/JPEG filter in the Save File window.

The default image format for Snipping Tool or Paint is PNG, which is good for the image size. There's nothing to add. Moreover, a link in the support forum whatever its location won't be seen by users because they focus only on their problem. An interesting thing could be to add a PNG/JPEG filter in the Save File window.
  11. scoobidiver said

The default image format for Snipping Tool or Paint is PNG, ...
    a link in the support forum whatever its location won't be seen by users because they focus only on their problem.

I use XP that defaults to .bmp for screenshots pasted into paint; which is (afaik) NOT suitable.

A link next to the attach Add image option, or as part of the attachment process, is going to be seen by users. A contributor the-edmeister did use the KB link, (see my last post) as I have done in the past, because there seems to be no other help information available.

''scoobidiver [[#post-40745|said]]'' <blockquote> The default image format for Snipping Tool or Paint is PNG, ... <br> a link in the support forum whatever its location won't be seen by users because they focus only on their problem. </blockquote> I use XP that defaults to .bmp for screenshots pasted into paint; which is (afaik) NOT suitable. A link next to the attach ''Add image'' option, or as part of the attachment process, is going to be seen by users. A contributor ''the-edmeister'' did use the KB link, (see my last post) as I have done in the past, because there seems to be no other help information available.
  12. scoobidiver said

As reminded by Alice above, Add images and screenshots to Knowledge Base articles should also describes the expected screenshot templates (see this thread). I disagree to make it usable by support forum answerers because the interesting part for support forum users is about screenshot tools. For this, there are plenty of articles, such as http://take-a-screenshot.org/, which answerers can link to.

I also think that Add images and screenshots to Knowledge Base articles should remain focused on adding images to KB articles and that information for support forum users should be given in a separate article. Linking support forum users to the Add images and screenshots to Knowledge Base articles article could cause confusion. For example, my pending revision updates the "Adding screenshots to articles" section by explaining that you must first upload the image to the Media Gallery. If support forum users are linked to that article, they might upload their screenshots there by mistake.

John99,
    What about adding a section about posting images to the Mozilla Support rules and guidelines article? Besides encouraging forum users to post a screenshot to help describe a problem (with a link to http://take-a-screenshot.org/ or similar site) we could warn them that inappropriate images will be removed. In fact, maybe the Mozilla Support rules and guidelines article could be expanded to include a small "faqs" section about using the support forum, since you brought up that nowhere is there guidance for ordinary posters who wish to add screenshots. (iirc Michael Verdi is against adding any faq section to SUMO, thinking it should all be self explanatory). This should be requested in a new thread.

''scoobidiver [[#post-40741|said]]'' <blockquote> As reminded by Alice above, [[Adding screenshots]] should also describes the expected screenshot templates (see [/en-US/kb/How%20to%20clear%20Search%20bar%20history/discuss/1559 this thread]). I disagree to make it usable by support forum answerers because the interesting part for support forum users is about screenshot tools. For this, there are plenty of articles, such as [http://take-a-screenshot.org/], which answerers can link to. </blockquote> I also think that [[Adding screenshots]] should remain focused on adding images to KB articles and that information for support forum users should be given in a separate article. Linking support forum users to the [[Adding screenshots]] article could cause confusion. For example, my pending revision updates the "Adding screenshots to articles" section by explaining that you must first upload the image to the [https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/gallery/ Media Gallery]. If support forum users are linked to that article, they might upload their screenshots there by mistake. '''John99''', <br> What about adding a section about posting images to the [[Forum and chat rules and guidelines]] article? Besides encouraging forum users to post a screenshot to help describe a problem (with a link to http://take-a-screenshot.org/ or similar site) we could warn them that inappropriate images will be removed. In fact, maybe the [[Forum and chat rules and guidelines]] article could be expanded to include a small "faqs" section about using the support forum, since you brought up that ''nowhere is there guidance for ordinary posters who wish to add screenshots. (iirc Michael Verdi is against adding any faq section to SUMO, thinking it should all be self explanatory)''. This should be requested in a new thread.
  13. On what "style" to use for Windows 7 screenshots:

I just came across Bug 668340 - Update screenshots on mozilla.com to remove purple aero glass comment 1, where this was posted:

Alex Faaborg [:faaborg] (Firefox UX) 2011-06-29 13:47:48 PDT

Created attachment 542929 [details] How this is customized in windows

Pretty easy to change, just right click on the desktop, select personalize, and then make sure that the window color is set to "sky"

Should this be included in Add images and screenshots to Knowledge Base articles, together with creating the screenshot over a blank page, as the preferred way to make Windows screenshots? (Using the default Windows 7 aero theme as suggested in this other thread, isn't necessary).

On what "style" to use for Windows 7 screenshots: I just came across [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=668340 Bug 668340 - Update screenshots on mozilla.com to remove purple aero glass] comment 1, where this was posted: ----- Alex Faaborg [:faaborg] (Firefox UX) 2011-06-29 13:47:48 PDT Created [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=542929 attachment 542929] [details] How this is customized in windows Pretty easy to change, just right click on the desktop, select personalize, and then make sure that the window color is set to "sky" ----- Should this be included in [[Adding screenshots]], together with creating the screenshot over a blank page, as the preferred way to make Windows screenshots? (Using the default Windows 7 aero theme as suggested in [https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How%20to%20clear%20Search%20bar%20history/discuss/1559 this other thread], isn't necessary).

14. Can Add images and screenshots to Knowledge Base articles be un-archived and updated? Since the article is currently archived, my pending revision doesn't show up in the KB dashboard.

Can [[Adding screenshots]] be un-archived and updated? Since the article is currently archived, my pending revision doesn't show up in the KB dashboard.

15. Since both scoobidiver any myself want Add images and screenshots to Knowledge Base articles updated, I went ahead and un-archived it. My July 9, 2011 revision still needs review. The article may also need to be updated for any policy about Windows 7 screenshots (aero theme or window color).

P.S. Bug 663412 - Make obsolete articles uneditable does not make it impossible to edit archived articles. You just have to go through the "Show History" link and edit the last revision.

Since both scoobidiver any myself want [[Adding screenshots]] updated, I went ahead and un-archived it. My July 9, 2011 revision still needs review. The article may also need to be updated for any policy about Windows 7 screenshots (aero theme or window color). P.S. [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=663412 Bug 663412 - Make obsolete articles uneditable] does not make it impossible to edit archived articles. You just have to go through the "Show History" link and edit the last revision.

16. Copied from another thread:
    On July 27, 2011 11:16:22 AM PDT Verdi said

AliceWyman said
    @Michael What about Add images and screenshots to Knowledge Base articles? Please don't ignore. My revision is pending since July 9, based on your reply in /forums/contributors/707035

Alice, sorry - wasn't ignoring it. It's just that the article needs to be completely rewritten and you, Scoobidiver and I are already up on what's in the addition. I've approved your edits and will try to get to rewriting it soon. As for Windows 7 screenshots, we should use the default Aero look (sky) over a white background http://people.mozilla.org/~mverdi/screenshots/screenshot-20110727-131523.jpg

Copied from [/forums/contributors/706935?last=41093&page=2#post-41091 another thread]:<br> On July 27, 2011 11:16:22 AM PDT ''Verdi said'' <blockquote> ''AliceWyman [[#post-41086|said]]'' <blockquote> '''@Michael''' What about [[Adding screenshots]]? Please don't ignore. [/kb/Adding%20screenshots/history My revision is pending since July 9], based on your reply in [/forums/contributors/707035] </blockquote> Alice, sorry - wasn't ignoring it. It's just that the article needs to be completely rewritten and you, Scoobidiver and I are already up on what's in the addition. I've approved your edits and will try to get to rewriting it soon. As for Windows 7 screenshots, we should use the default Aero look (sky) over a white background http://people.mozilla.org/~mverdi/screenshots/screenshot-20110727-131523.jpg </blockquote>
  17. This article is being linked by support forum contributors, to help Firefox users create a screenshot to post to the support forum. If we link Firefox users to the Add images and screenshots to Knowledge Base articles article, they will likely follow the instructions to upload the image to the Media Gallery. The Support forum has a separate method for adding images to posts.

I came across this reviewing the current Media Gallery, which includes this Firefox Screenshot: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/gallery/image/8726 The screenshot shows the related forum thread, https://support.mozilla.org/questions/906000

P.S. If we want to give Firefox users instructions for creating a screenshot, we need another way to do that. We could create a "Forum FAQ" article or, if that's not in the cards, we could add brief instructions in a separate "Adding Images to Posts" paragraph to the Mozilla Support rules and guidelines.

This article is being linked by support forum contributors, to help Firefox users create a screenshot to post to the support forum. If we link Firefox users to the [[Adding screenshots]] article, they will likely follow the instructions to upload the image to the Media Gallery. The Support forum has a separate method for adding images to posts. I came across this reviewing the current Media Gallery, which includes this Firefox Screenshot: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/gallery/image/8726 The screenshot shows the related forum thread, https://support.mozilla.org/questions/906000 P.S. If we want to give Firefox users instructions for creating a screenshot, we need another way to do that. We could create a "Forum FAQ" article or, if that's not in the cards, we could add brief instructions in a separate "Adding Images to Posts" paragraph to the [[Forum and chat rules and guidelines]].

18. I made a revision to Mozilla Support rules and guidelines to mention adding images, with links to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screenshot and http://take-a-screenshot.org/ (needs review).

I made a [https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Forum%20and%20chat%20rules%20and%20guidelines/review/20144 revision] to [[Forum and chat rules and guidelines]] to mention adding images, with links to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screenshot and http://take-a-screenshot.org/ (needs review).
  19. Michael Verdi started a new thread about updates to the Adding Screenshots article:

https://support.mozilla.org/forums/contributors/708069 Screenshots

Michael Verdi started a new thread about updates to the [[Adding Screenshots]] article: https://support.mozilla.org/forums/contributors/708069 ''Screenshots''