Knowledge Base discussions

Keywords

1. Over the holidays I did some work on adding summaries and keywords to articles and then did some testing with users (working on a blog post about this). One thing that I noticed and then confirmed with James is that for the most part we don't need to add keywords to articles. The idea is that we should only use them in an instance where someone could conceivably search for an article using a term that isn't in the title or body. For example we should add "favorites" as a keyword to all articles about bookmarks.

If you add keywords that are already in the title or body (something I've done and now need to fix) you can really mess up the search results. For example, I had Importing bookmarks from Opera coming up before Bookmarks in a search for "bookmarks".

Over the holidays I did some work on adding summaries and keywords to articles and then did some testing with users (working on a blog post about this). One thing that I noticed and then confirmed with James is that for the most part we don't need to add keywords to articles. The idea is that '''we should only use them in an instance where someone could conceivably search for an article using a term that isn't in the title or body. For example we should add "favorites" as a keyword to all articles about bookmarks. ''' If you add keywords that are already in the title or body (something I've done and now need to fix) you can really mess up the search results. For example, I had Importing bookmarks from Opera coming up before Bookmarks in a search for "bookmarks".
  2. Can you update all English KB articles in order to follow this rule (no dupes, only synonyms and generic terms, eventually misspelled words, see /forums/contributors/704918), so that new localizers don't translate these currently wrong keywords? You can also add a summary at the same time to improve search results ranking (same reference).

For instance, if there is in the title:

• option, add preference, setting, parameter as keywords.
    • troubleshooting, add diagnose, solve, fix as keywords.
    • extension, add add-on (not the contrary).
    Can you update all English KB articles in order to follow this rule (no dupes, only synonyms and generic terms, eventually misspelled words, see [/forums/contributors/704918]), so that new localizers don't translate these currently wrong keywords? You can also add a summary at the same time to improve search results ranking (same reference). For instance, if there is in the title: * option, add preference, setting, parameter as keywords. * troubleshooting, add diagnose, solve, fix as keywords. * extension, add add-on (not the contrary).