SUMO community discussions

Firefox 20 Release / Issues / Status

1. more options

Hello all!

Firefox 20 has been released into the wild today, and it brings a slew of new features and improvements. The big user facing changes are the new downloads manager, and per-window Private Browsing. We are expecting some feedback in the following areas:

• Download Manager. We ran a survey of users on Beta who had the new download manager, and most loved it. The biggest complaint is that there is no easy way to clear all downloads (you have to open downloads and clear them from there). We are working on the UX for this, but until then users can work around this issue. Also, there is a possibility that some download add-ons may break until they are updated to take advantage of the new download manager.
    • Private Browsing. The biggest change here is we moved the location of the "Start Private Browsing" button from the Tools menu to the File menu (In Firefox users with the old style Menu bar). This leads to some confusion until users know where to look. This won't affect users with the Firefox button, as the location has remained the same.
    • There are also some smaller performance improvements, bug fixes, etc. so users should be seeing a smoother and faster experience with 20 than they did with 19.

Thanks everyone!

Hello all! Firefox 20 has been released into the wild today, and it brings a slew of new features and improvements. The big user facing changes are the new downloads manager, and per-window Private Browsing. We are expecting some feedback in the following areas: * Download Manager. We ran a survey of users on Beta who had the new download manager, and most loved it. The biggest complaint is that there is no easy way to clear all downloads (you have to open downloads and clear them from there). We are working on the UX for this, but until then users can work around this issue. Also, there is a possibility that some download add-ons may break until they are updated to take advantage of the new download manager. * Private Browsing. The biggest change here is we moved the location of the "Start Private Browsing" button from the Tools menu to the File menu (In Firefox users with the old style Menu bar). This leads to some confusion until users know where to look. This won't affect users with the Firefox button, as the location has remained the same. * There are also some smaller performance improvements, bug fixes, etc. so users should be seeing a smoother and faster experience with 20 than they did with 19. Thanks everyone!
  2. The update to 20 is slowing being pushed I'm assuming as many are still posting about their issue with 19. One thing I'm noticing is that 20 threads are also tagged with "beta" on them.

The update to 20 is slowing being pushed I'm assuming as many are still posting about their issue with 19. One thing I'm noticing is that 20 threads are also tagged with "beta" on them.
  3. Note there seems a rather serious problem with none responsive location bars. See /forums/contributors/709115?last=51780#post-51780

One thread involves corporate users with

That is in addition to thread

See now 57672 - Address Bar not working

Note there seems a rather serious problem with none responsive location bars. See [/forums/contributors/709115?last=51780#post-51780] One thread involves corporate users with * 800+ pc s [/questions/955232#answer-423083] *& 450 pc s [/questions/955232#answer-423111] That is in addition to thread * ''why is the 20.0 address bar unresponsive?'' [/questions/955140] ------ See now [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=857672 57672 - Address Bar not working]

Modified by John99 on

4. more options

Hey John, yes we are tracking this issue in Bug 857672

Hey John, yes we are tracking this issue in [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=857672 Bug 857672]
  5. Telemetry notice at bottom of window. How to turn off the pest?

My pref settings in about:config"

• toolkit.telemetry.enabled;false
    • toolkit.telemetry.prompted;2
    • toolkit.telemetry.rejected;true
    Telemetry notice at bottom of window. How to turn off the pest? My pref settings in about:config" <blockquote> * toolkit.telemetry.enabled;false * toolkit.telemetry.prompted;2 * toolkit.telemetry.rejected;true </blockquote>

Modified by TheOldFox on

6. I do not have any pesky prompt, but then I have it enabled and do not have the rejected pref.

I do not have any pesky prompt, but then I have it enabled and do not have the rejected pref.
  7. John99:

See image.

"Rejected" pref is based on other info I found on Mozilla and other sites. It must be added. This reminder shows without that pref also.

Telemetry reminder

John99: See image. "Rejected" pref is based on other info I found on Mozilla and other sites. It must be added. This reminder shows without that pref also. [[Image:Telemetry reminder]]

Modified by TheOldFox on

8. Before Firefox 20 release, Threads are less than 80 according to 24Hrs time period. but now its more than 140 Threads perday.

Most of the Issues are related to Address bar not responding.

Before Firefox 20 release, Threads are less than 80 according to 24Hrs time period. but now its more than 140 Threads perday. Most of the Issues are related to Address bar not responding.
  9. Hi TheOldFox, the bottom bar appears related to this group of preferences:

datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionPolicy*

If you reset all of those, Firefox will display the bar again. After clicking the Choose button, and OKing the dialog, I have:

• datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionPolicyAccepted; true
    • datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionPolicyAcceptedVersion; 1
    • datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionPolicyNotifiedTime; 1365103189265
    • datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionPolicyResponseTime; 1365103202788
    • datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionPolicyResponseType; accepted-info-bar-dismissed
    • datareporting.policy.firstRunTime; 1365107982375

Perhaps those preferences are not updating for you, or you are clearing them between sessions somehow, hence, Firefox redisplays the bar?

Hi TheOldFox, the bottom bar appears related to this group of preferences: datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionPolicy* If you reset all of those, Firefox will display the bar again. After clicking the Choose button, and OKing the dialog, I have: * datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionPolicyAccepted; true * datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionPolicyAcceptedVersion; 1 * datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionPolicyNotifiedTime; 1365103189265 * datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionPolicyResponseTime; 1365103202788 * datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionPolicyResponseType; accepted-info-bar-dismissed * datareporting.policy.firstRunTime; 1365107982375 Perhaps those preferences are not updating for you, or you are clearing them between sessions somehow, hence, Firefox redisplays the bar?
  10. Hello everyone !

I just wanted to ask that has Firefox 20 not been fully released to all platforms of Windows ??

I ask this because i use Windows XP (latest) but i have not yet received the Firefox 20 version.. I know i can manually update it, but it has not auto-updated itself.

Just wanted to get your feedback and let you guys know about this so you can look into this if it really is the case with other Win XP users.

Regards, Hasan

Hello everyone ! I just wanted to ask that has Firefox 20 not been fully released to all platforms of Windows ?? I ask this because i use Windows XP (latest) but i have not yet received the Firefox 20 version.. I know i can manually update it, but it has not auto-updated itself. Just wanted to get your feedback and let you guys know about this so you can look into this if it really is the case with other Win XP users. Regards, Hasan
  11. NORTON blocking Firefox Updates ?

We often see problems with security related software and their utilities. Firefox updates often break parts of Norton security suites until the Norton software is updated. I understand the Norton updates are normally released the same day as the Firefox updates and so may not be downloaded in advance.

There is a thread /questions/952798 with two separate users suggesting Norton is blocking Firefox updates. Maybe they just have their software badly setup, but the situation may be worth watching.

NORTON blocking Firefox Updates ? We often see problems with security related software and their utilities. Firefox updates often break parts of Norton security suites until the Norton software is updated. I understand the Norton updates are normally released the same day as the Firefox updates and so may not be downloaded in advance. There is a thread [/questions/952798] with two separate users suggesting Norton is blocking Firefox updates. Maybe they just have their software badly setup, but the situation may be worth watching.
  12. John99 said

NORTON blocking Firefox Updates ? We often see problems with security related software and their utilities. Firefox updates often break parts of Norton security suites until the Norton software is updated. I understand the Norton updates are normally released the same day as the Firefox updates and so may not be downloaded in advance. There is a thread /questions/952798 with two separate users suggesting Norton is blocking Firefox updates. Maybe they just have their software badly setup, but the situation may be worth watching.

Hi John

I don't know if your post was in reply to me or you were just pointing out this but I don't think i have this problem and i do not have Norton as well.. (my security software Avast has never blocked any Firefox updates)

Normally when a new version of Firefox is available, i always get the "New Firefox version XX.X is Available" pop-up window from which i choose whether to update at that moment or later.

With this release (Firefox 20), i have not yet gotten the update pop-up.

Regards, Hasan

''John99 [[#post-51808|said]]'' <blockquote> NORTON blocking Firefox Updates ? We often see problems with security related software and their utilities. Firefox updates often break parts of Norton security suites until the Norton software is updated. I understand the Norton updates are normally released the same day as the Firefox updates and so may not be downloaded in advance. There is a thread [/questions/952798] with two separate users suggesting Norton is blocking Firefox updates. Maybe they just have their software badly setup, but the situation may be worth watching. </blockquote> Hi John I don't know if your post was in reply to me or you were just pointing out this but I don't think i have this problem and i do not have Norton as well.. (my security software Avast has never blocked any Firefox updates) Normally when a new version of Firefox is available, i always get the "New Firefox version XX.X is Available" pop-up window from which i choose whether to update at that moment or later. With this release (Firefox 20), i have not yet gotten the update pop-up. Regards, Hasan
  13. more options

mha007 said

Hi John I don't know if your post was in reply to me or you were just pointing out this but I don't think i have this problem and i do not have Norton as well.. (my security software Avast has never blocked any Firefox updates) Normally when a new version of Firefox is available, i always get the "New Firefox version XX.X is Available" pop-up window from which i choose whether to update at that moment or later. With this release (Firefox 20), i have not yet gotten the update pop-up. Regards, Hasan

We have updates throttled currently (like we do for every release after about 20millions users get the update) to allow us to review feedback, and decided if we need to release a chemspill (which it lookslike we will be doing in this case to correct the Address bar issue). Nothing to be worried about, we will unthrottle after we release the chemspill.

''mha007 [[#post-51809|said]]'' <blockquote> Hi John I don't know if your post was in reply to me or you were just pointing out this but I don't think i have this problem and i do not have Norton as well.. (my security software Avast has never blocked any Firefox updates) Normally when a new version of Firefox is available, i always get the "New Firefox version XX.X is Available" pop-up window from which i choose whether to update at that moment or later. With this release (Firefox 20), i have not yet gotten the update pop-up. Regards, Hasan </blockquote> We have updates throttled currently (like we do for every release after about 20millions users get the update) to allow us to review feedback, and decided if we need to release a chemspill (which it lookslike we will be doing in this case to correct the Address bar issue). Nothing to be worried about, we will unthrottle after we release the chemspill.
  14. Tylerdowner said

We have updates throttled currently (like we do for every release after about 20millions users get the update) to allow us to review feedback, and decided if we need to release a chemspill (which it lookslike we will be doing in this case to correct the Address bar issue). Nothing to be worried about, we will unthrottle after we release the chemspill.

Thanks Tyler

''Tylerdowner [[#post-51810|said]]'' <blockquote> We have updates throttled currently (like we do for every release after about 20millions users get the update) to allow us to review feedback, and decided if we need to release a chemspill (which it lookslike we will be doing in this case to correct the Address bar issue). Nothing to be worried about, we will unthrottle after we release the chemspill. </blockquote> Thanks Tyler
  15. mha007: You are in the wrong place asking for help with your issue. This thread is for issues that seem to be spiking and not individual issues. I understand that you are a contributor but we as contributor don't post here just because we have an issue of our phone, we Ask A New Question just like an ordinary user.

mha007: You are in the wrong place asking for help with your issue. This thread is for issues that seem to be spiking and not individual issues. I understand that you are a contributor but we as contributor don't post here just because we have an issue of our phone, we [https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/new Ask A New Question] just like an ordinary user.
  16. Tylerdowner said

Hey John, yes we are tracking this issue in Bug 857672

This bug has not been fixed yet.. Reports on forum is still coming in. Tyler, any idea on when it'll be resolved?

''Tylerdowner [[#post-51783|said]]'' <blockquote> Hey John, yes we are tracking this issue in [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=857672 Bug 857672] </blockquote> This bug has not been fixed yet.. Reports on forum is still coming in. Tyler, any idea on when it'll be resolved?
  17. more options

feer56 said

This bug has not been fixed yet.. Reports on forum is still coming in. Tyler, any idea on when it'll be resolved?

We will be releasing a Firefox 20.0.1 sometime in the first few days of next week, most likely Wednesday. Stay tuned for further updates.

''feer56 [[#post-51821|said]]'' <blockquote> This bug has not been fixed yet.. Reports on forum is still coming in. Tyler, any idea on when it'll be resolved? </blockquote> We will be releasing a Firefox 20.0.1 sometime in the first few days of next week, most likely Wednesday. Stay tuned for further updates.
  18. Update * https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/20.0.1/releasenotes/
  19. There's a problem reported on Android 20 due to the pop-up blocker:

I cant access website due to pop up blocker. how do I fix this?

https://support.mozilla.org/sl/questions/958626

There's a problem reported on Android 20 due to the pop-up blocker: '''I cant access website due to pop up blocker. how do I fix this?''' https://support.mozilla.org/sl/questions/958626
  20. smo said

There's a problem reported on Android 20 due to the pop-up blocker: I cant access website due to pop up blocker. how do I fix this? https://support.mozilla.org/sl/questions/958626

Seems like there are some responses..

''smo [[#post-52208|said]]'' <blockquote> There's a problem reported on Android 20 due to the pop-up blocker: '''I cant access website due to pop up blocker. how do I fix this?''' https://support.mozilla.org/sl/questions/958626 </blockquote> Seems like there are some responses..