maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I doubt I am the only one with this goal / question! I am trying to archive emails from an online provider to my lo… (read more)
maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I doubt I am the only one with this goal / question! I am trying to archive emails from an online provider to my local PC. I want to delete the emails from the online server and only keep a copy on my local archive.
I have read the help here but did not find enough explanation regarding Archiving to know whether it is what I am looking for, or intended for a different purpose. Likewise with "Local Folders".
So I have potentially abused them both with the following configuration:
1) renaming my "Local Folders" account to "Archive",
2) setting my custom local folder under "Local Folders" (now "Archive") > "Local Directory",
3) creating subfolders for each email account,
4) specifying these folders under each "Account Settings" > "Copies & Folders" > "Message Archives" > "Other" > "<Folder Name> on Archive" (selecting the subfolder)
5) leaving Thunderbird on all night to synchronise
Unfortunately, the next day in my Archive folder were only tiny ".msf" files, so it clearly didn't do what I expected. So please tell me where I went wrong, and how I should rather setup my local archive. My aim is to delete online copies and move most mails offline.
Thanks a million in advance!