So, I apprehend how this works presently (or until recently) with Firefox for Android solid cut back to approximately a dozen extensions (provide or take) and first of al… (read more)
So, I apprehend how this works presently (or until recently) with Firefox for Android solid cut back to approximately a dozen extensions (provide or take) and first of all broader extension get right of entry to being to be had in forks like Iceraven and, ultimately, if you understand the name of the game code and have a Mozilla account, Firefox Nightly and Firefox Beta.
But, i have examine that this is converting to in which in preference to the prevailing "integrated" extension Firefox for Android extension library that become heavily limited on Firefox solid, it'll be replaced with the aid of an AMO library open to submissions in the same way pre-version sixty nine Firefox for Android, and present day Firefox for home windows are, with Android variations of extension on the identical AMO pages as their desktop opposite numbers, for the ones computer developers who additionally need an Android model.
I have a few questions, which maybe other human beings have too, inclusive of:
- Which model is this anticipated to fully land in nightly and beta? Approximate date?
- Which version is this expect to fully land in strong? Approximate date?
- Will all present day extensions with new extension versions stick round in every user's installations with a continuing upgrade, or will human beings should reinstall extensions manually after changeover?
- If the extensions deliver over automatically, what happens to people upgrading from, say, simply for instance, modern-day Android uBlock beginning to new extension fashion uBlock foundation past the obvious? Will the settings and customizations to such things as filters and filter listing be ported over much like a ordinary software program improve, or does the exchange in codecs make that a non-starter and revert to a popular new installation uBO? I ask because if extension settings do not bring over, humans should recognise to be able to backup what they could (and, if a backup mechanism isn't always supplied by means of an extension, the give up user could optionally take screenshots or notes before the current model goes away to get it returned doing things the manner the cease person would really like after) and reimport it to the new edition, if they care about such matters enough to do it.
- What occurs to the modern Firefox for Android extensions, both those covered on solid and the numerous more that are not, but that humans access thru forks and non-solid versions of Firefox? Is this strictly a one system at a time component, in which the handiest system disappears whilst solid is going live with support for the new style extensions, or might both upload-on systems exist side via aspect for some time thereafter?