Windows 7 sp1 and Internet Explorer 11 were put on my computer. After that my new tabs for Firefox and Chrome have been hijacked by an Ask.com search page with ad… (read more)
Windows 7 sp1 and Internet Explorer 11 were put on my computer. After that my new tabs for Firefox and Chrome have been hijacked by an Ask.com search page with advertisements. A Dell tech spent several hours trying to remove the Ask.com page. He did at least the following, and probably more, not necessarily in this order.
1. He went to control panel and reviewed newly installed programs
2. He went to Firefox menu, add-ons checking for extensions (I now have no extensions any more), my appearance is default, plugins look like they are from reputable companies, ie. Cisco, Adobe, Java, Citrix, etc.
3. He ran several malware programs, ie. AdwCleaner, SuperAntiMalware, and I think one was Rage.
4. My Firefox has been reset
5. The computer has been restarted several times.
Does anyone have any other suggestions. Between myself and the Dell guy, we have spent hours trying to remove this ridiculous malware.
I have Firefox 34.0, Windows 7 sp1, Dell Inspiron desktop
Thanks for your help
Firefox: I really think that you should have something in the browser that asks, 'do you want to install Ask.com hijack page, or at least make it easy to remove, or have a page that shows all things that were recently installed, or have a page that shows all add-ons that display ads in case we want to remove them.