I've used Thunderbird for years. After the most recent update in late July 2020 (78.0.1), Thunderbird no longer works. It will not download new mail. It does connect to t… (read more)
I've used Thunderbird for years. After the most recent update in late July 2020 (78.0.1), Thunderbird no longer works. It will not download new mail. It does connect to the IMAP server but then gets to "checking mail server capabilities" and hangs with the spinning circle indefinitely.
I have not done anything to Thunderbird, I just let it install the update. I did not install updates to any other program on my PC. I'm running Windows 10 on a laptop that is about 4 months old. Thunderbird worked absolutely fine before the 78 update.
I am not experiencing any connection issues or problems with any other running programs.
I have tried the following fixes already:
1. Checking my account configuration and confirming it is correct with my email provider. I have the correct ports listed and correct server names.
2. Changing the timeout setting from 100 to 2000.
3. I am able to access my email on my provider's Web interface so this isn't a password issue. There is no CAPTCHA required either.
4. I checked my anti-virus/anti-malware program (Kapersky). Thunderbird and Mozilla are both listed in the "allowed apps" list. I tried removing them both and re-adding, as well as searching for other variations of Mozilla/Thunderbird to add. I also tried Kapersky's "refresh" function.
5. I tried restarting my computer.
6. I tried rebooting my wireless Internet connection.
7. I tried using Thunderbird's "start in safe mode with apps disabled" function.
8. I tried re-installing 78.
9. I tried clearing caches and cleaning with CC Cleaner.
Nothing has worked. Something in the 78.0.1 update has messed things up. Thank you for looking into this.