There are a lot of questions and answers around moving Windows Thunderbird data from one computer to another, and I have tried to follow all the advice, but still running… (read more)
There are a lot of questions and answers around moving Windows Thunderbird data from one computer to another, and I have tried to follow all the advice, but still running into issues. One thing to note is that my "UserName" folder is different on my new computer, and I am trying to accommodate for that difference as well.
I've tried various ways to do this, each time uninstalling TB and deleting my Thunderbird folders in my \AppData\Roaming and AppData\Local\ to start fresh, but perhaps there is some registry key messing things up??
I followed "Moving Thunderbird Data To A New Computer" article and YouTube video (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/moving-thunderbird-data-to-a-new-computer) article, but it doesn't cover my situation with the new <UserName> folder. This is what I did:
1. Identified old Profile folder on OLDComputer.
2. Copied entire “Thunderbird” folder from OLDComputer. (Note, old <UserName> folder: “First Last”) C:\Users\First Last\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\4enlv7u2.default
3. Installed Thunderbird 91.4.0 on NEWComputer.
4. Started Thunderbird.
5. Did not set up an account.
6. Closed Thunderbird.
7. Replaced the Thunderbird folder in this folder Users\First\AppData\Roaming\ with the Thunderbird folder from my OLDComputer.
8. Start Thunderbird, and get error: “The file mailbox:///C:/Users/First Last/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/4enlv7u2.default/Mail/mail.blahblah.net/Inbox?number=7075&part=1.2&filename=STATEMENT.pdf&type=application/pdf cannot be found. Please check the location and try again.”
9. So, I edited profile.ini because the <UserName> path is different on this computer.
• Updated “IsRelative” from 1 to 0.
• Under the [Profile0] section, updated these two lines (Changed “IsRelative=” from 1 to 0), and replace the <username> in the path to just “First”:
10. I refreshed or something, and got a dialog to Create/Rename profile. I renamed it from “default” to “First”.
11. I notice all my old email has loaded.
12. Then I restarted Thunderbird, but...
Got error: “Your Thunderbird profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible.” Then it wont run.
What are my next steps, or how can I re-do this properly from scratch (I'm getting good at that) THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!