Hello to all,
as I am running out of ideas (see all actions already taken below ...) I wonder if the community has any idea what might be the solution? Forum search here … (read more)
Hello to all,
as I am running out of ideas (see all actions already taken below ...) I wonder if the community has any idea what might be the solution? Forum search here did not reveal any entry with my particular circumstances as it affects only the current user account on my computer.
My Firefox profile folder is rather old as some of the files in its three different profiles date back to 2005. The whole Firefox folder has been migrated from two previous Macs to the current machine which itself now uses its third hard drive. Therefore a folder rights issue might be possible but in my opinion not very likely.
As I am used to report software bugs I have chosen to write it down like a bug report, so mea culpa if this is not the expected format on this platform. But I am a little desperate and miss my highly customised Firefox environment.
Best regards from Berlin/Germany and many thanks in advance
Describe the problem you have:
"Firefox" no longer launches successfully, claiming that there is no profile. However, the profile folder has not been manually renamed, moved or modified.
If possible, include steps to reproduce the problem:
- Start Firefox program (Dock, Finder, commend line)
- Error message appears immediately
- Program launches with all data and settings from the profile folder.
- Error message: "Profile not available. Your profile "Firefox" cannot be loaded. It may not exist or access is not possible."
- Firefox 78.8.0esr (System language: German, de-DE)
ProductName: Mac OS X
Please provide any additional information below:
- Program was deleted and reinstalled: Firefox again starts only with error message
- tried all steps from "https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-run-firefox-when-profile-missing-inaccessible" with no success
- tried to start in safe mode: "/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -safe-mode" with no success
- tried same computer, user account of local admin: Firefox starts without error message
- tried same computer, user account of another standard user, copy of Firefox profile folder pasted to appropriate folder: Firefox starts without error message with almost all data and settings. Missing: different GUI theme and all Addons icons in the toolbar
- tried with separate ProfileManager.app: regardless of any selected checkbox, the same error message is always displayed