Starting within the last 2 weeks, I am having problems with the system hanging up when I try to download a file. It doesn't happen when I've first rebooted the computer,… (read more)
Starting within the last 2 weeks, I am having problems with the system hanging up when I try to download a file. It doesn't happen when I've first rebooted the computer, but after I've been using it for an hour or two. It also doesn't hang the entire computer (at least not at first); but just Firefox, Windows Explorer, and (if the download link was there) Thunderbird.
Win10 Pro(x64) v1909 (build 18363.1016)
Firefox v80.0.1 (64-bit)
Thunderbird v68.12.0 (32-bit)
On a Dell Optiplex 7010 factory-refurb desktop pc with:
3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i5-3570 processor
The problem starts at the point where I'm supposed to tell the system where to put the file I'm downloading. The system defaults to "This PC", and usually to "Downloads". If it's going to hang, it does so on my next mouse-click, trying to go to the proper directory.
When the glitch happens, closing Firefox (if I can) will not solve it. When I try to open it again, it says Firefox is already running, even though it doesn't appear to be. Sometimes (but not always) I can open the Task Manager. The one time I succeded in doing so, I must have started either that download or a previous download from a Thunderbird email. Several Firefox processes were running. I tried to shut them all down, but one would not respond. Looking thru the other tabs, I found one Firefox.exe instance in the Details tab, and tried (but failed) to shut that down. So I started closing whatever other applications I had open, on the way to rebooting the system. But when I closed Thunderbird, the Firefox process & "Detail" instance both closed, and the glitch disappeared.
However, I don't think it can always be blamed on Thunderbird, because I think the glitch has happened at other times when Thunderbird was not open. All I really know is that both Firefox and Windows have updated on my pc (and on my Win7 laptop) within the last two weeks, and that's when the problem started.
To me it appears that this is an update-induced bug. I hope that this note helps someone to find that bug and kill it.