This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
An unwanted tab pops up whenever I click on any page I have up.
When I click anywhere on any web page I happen to have up, another tab will open up. It's not another window, just another tab in the same window. It never loads all the way and it remains just a blank white page. The title thing in the tab spot just says "loading". The URL always has something to do with click tracker in it. This is the most recent one that popped up: http://123srv.com/ads-clicktrack/click/newjump1.do?affiliate=63801&subid=1049789&terms=how%20to%20remove%20pop%20up%20blocker%20shelleyirishdance.com%20shelley%20school%20of%20irish%20dance%20utah%20kristina&ai=k7r7ZxYUPfD2QHmxafUC3FKj_Zpi6ZZyCafgoE4aT5BmsVftS--JZbE7nx_ue8pgiV8REg8qtd4nlCcP_TsuYxqvCPXUr7EEp6T4FLomBS9gE6vTW4h3dLhOG67xkTp42m9H4NkVGLAwLpSGNwMGtsOLZiu-tOhMwKvlVq1khSfnAo4OJ4T6K-l9MiMf6M4VJznqciRN2QAsnn7GuCcMM1IF4g7Nb0a0o_wZtbVVzyEmVq7ekBlN2gq77LjOU6YpOoyGwo7fObZt71K-hNxRzE37g1IBVcXdZZuUZCx3xT0MmZ2DdJwXRWRVDkaqnoziyxf-QxvHoeru19uOKD_7USXpExraoTb0vChyRc1jvxiBLUOXnV2DBGNcIRNtZp4pRYvkO3aJqoZ4lEL7tqTjvSx2oZEhYIsj&version=1.1 It doesn't pop up every time I click on something, but it happens quite frequently and it's really annoying. I also have an ad tab that pops up on the right side of every page I open. It has an options setting to have it never appear on that site again, but I don't want to do that to every single site I go to. There is also an ad search thing that will appear within the text of the page, it's called Mega Search or something. It has a close button but it doesn't go away completely. Ad Blocker Plus is activated and they still show up. The pop-up blocker is activated and they still show up. Is there any way to get rid of this?
All Replies (2)
Sounds like spyware. You might try doing a scan for malware.
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
- SuperAntispyware - http://www.superantispyware.com/
- Spybot Search & Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
- AdAware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
If these don't find it or can't clear it, post in one of these forums for specialized malware removal help:
Most likely you have one or more extensions that opening the tabs and injecting inappropriate ads into sites. Try this:
Disable ALL nonessential or unrecognized extensions on the Add-ons page. Either:
- orange Firefox button (or Tools menu) > Add-ons
In the left column, click Extensions. Then, if in doubt, disable. (Or if they are obviously bad news, Remove.)
Usually a link will appear above at least one disabled extension to restart Firefox. You can complete your work on the tab and click one of the links as the last step.
Does that eliminate the ads?
(1) If there is no Remove button for an extension, it typically needs to be uninstalled through the Windows Control Panel, Uninstall a Program. Click the "Installed on" column heading to bring the most recent additions to the top and see what unexpected extras might have been bundled into some recent installs.
(2) You can mop up with some of the scanners listed in this article, which other Firefox users have found helpful: Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware.